To My Fur-ever Friend, Thanks To You My Life Will Never Be The Same

I don't know what I'd do without you.

234

My kitty, Cosmo, is the love of my life. Even though I adopted him a month ago, he has quickly turned my world around. I believe God knew exactly what he was doing when he had me tag along to the Humane Society with one of my friends because through that, I found the perfect kitty for me.

Photo by Kat Dysinger

I have always been a cat lover and I've had many in the span of my life. However, this time is different. I am responsible for my kitty financially and physically. It's also different because Cosmo is my first pet in my "adulthood." He serves as my best friend and my emotional support and he has already calmed me down many times before anxiety attacks took me down under.

Photo by Kat Dysinger

My cat is different than any cat I've ever owned before. He is super gentle, and I mean super gentle. He won't even bite my fingers when I try playing with him. Not only that, but even when he was scared the first week I brought him home, he didn't once hiss at us, pull his claws on us, or bite us. Instead, he let everyone in my house hold him and love on him, even when he had no clue who they were. Normally, when scared, cats go into survival mode and can get a little aggressive, but my cat let us do whatever we wanted to do with him, even when he didn't want to be held (which we didn't know if he did or didn't because he wouldn't squirm, he'd stay put). Now, Cosmo has gotten comfortable and will squirm if he wants down. He also meows a lot and plays with our newly adopted puppy, Hida. Cosmo is finally acting as if he is home.

Another thing that's really awesome about parenting Cosmo is training him. That's right, I train my cat. Many people train their cats to use a litter box and to not scratch up furniture, but luckily, I didn't have to do that. Instead, I trained Cosmo to know his name (obviously), to sit, and to go up on his hind legs when I say "up." He is a super smart kitty and he picks up on these new tricks rather quickly. Every day is a joy when I wake up to him meowing and rubbing his face against mine or his nose against my nose, practically begging for attention. I don't think I could have adopted a more perfect kitten.

Cosmo may be a cat, but he also acts like a dog in a sense. He literally follows me around the house because he doesn't like to be alone. I will be getting ready in the bathroom and he will stretch out on the hallway floor in front of the open door and bathe himself or watch me. It's rather funny to walk around the house and see my kitty in tow. None of my cats have ever done that before. He is also starting to learn my routine and he knows when I'm about to leave. For instance, I told him goodbye today before I left, and he responded with a meow. It honestly made me want to stay.

Every day with him is a brand new adventure, whether he's spying on our puppy before the pounce and "attack," or watching him play with all of my rolled up socks. I don't think I could be any more proud to be his "pet mom." Cosmo fills my heart with joy and reminds me that I have a purpose because sometimes I forget there's reasons to wake up daily or reasons why I need to go to work. I am forever grateful that I found him that day and that I decided to adopt him because, for the past month, my life hasn't been the same.

the day I found himPhoto by Kat Dysinger