15 Things, Items Or Otherwise, Every Creative Writing Major Has

Eight favorite pens.

41

Graduation is creeping up on us and although all college students are panicking, each major has a subset of panic that they hold close with their fellow major students. Along with the panic, each major has their own battle scars, or trophies, they've collected along the way. Here are a few of those scar-trophies that creative writing majors know all too well.

1. Files and files of other people's work

Some is your friends' work, so you'll keep it. But every workshop you've ever been emailed? Ninety-nine percent are about to be deleted.

2. Hundreds of comments on a handful of stories

You'll never be able to incorporate them all, and some are terrible, but they're kind of nice to have.

3. A bundle of rejection letters from grad schools

Because let's be honest, not everyone can be included in the 3% acceptance rate.

4. A stack of story copies as tall as you

And you don't want to throw them away because what if someday you come back to that story? You're just going to bury yourself in paper, it's fine.

5. More open mic readings than anyone you know

Even though the number is less than five, you've still been up on that stage facing a crowd of other writers who are too busy waiting for their turn to listen to you.

6. Eight different favorite pens

Each for a different round of editing, some duplicates because you can't throw the first one away until it's completely out of ink.

7. A plethora of writing playlists

One for fight scenes, one for emotional scenes, one for humor, another for dialogue heavy stories. You're all set, but it doesn't stop you from making more.

8. Way more literary journals than you'll ever read

Because you can't say no to them but you also don't have time for them.

9. That awkward laugh everyone does when you tell them your major

Thank you, Susan. I also think my aspirations are comical.

10. Passions about font

Look, you can be a fan of Lucida light all you want, it's up to you, I guess.

11. Submittable fever

There's something satisfying about watching your list of active submissions grow that can only be topped by acceptance.

12. Newsletters from other undergrad journals

How did this happen? How did we get here?

13. A collection of name tags from writing conferences

Going with your friends? Best idea ever.

14. Lots of reading experience of work you'll never see again

For your undergraduate literary journal, your workshop courses and your friends.

15. Worlds of possibilities

You've got this one, the one you're writing, the other one you're writing, the one you're reading and the one you're dreaming. You've got this.