how the switch increased japanese gaming industry sales
Technology

The Nintendo Switch Took The Japanese Gaming Industry To Another Level, Here's How

The Japanese video game industry has been under a huge decline for the past ten years, starting in 2007.

156
https://pixabay.com/en/nintendo-switch-nintendo-switch-2154437/
ant2506 | pixabay

Each year, sales have reported to be lower than the previous year, reflecting a once mighty industry losing its relevance. Last year, however, the Computer Entertainment Supplier Association (CESA) reported that in 2017, the Switch was responsible for helping digital software and hardware sales hit $3.5 billion, increasing 22.7% from last year.

Considering Japan's declining population and that the eighth console generation, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and PlayStation Vita being the primary players, weren't exactly the best generations, this is important. The Switch balances both power and convenience in a way no other console, handheld or home, has ever done.

The Switch is an incredibly easy concept. Like other handhelds, you can take your Switch anywhere, be it on car trips, your friend's house, or even your local college campus. However, those who want the home experience can simply put the system in a dock and play straight from your TV.

It's a perfect "one-size fits all" deal that appeals to nearly everyone.

The incredible convenience of the Switch applies immensely to the fast-paced world in which no country is that more evident than in Japan. Japan is one of the world's most urbanized country, with nearly 95% living in an urban area. Since most of Japan is uninhabitable for living, that means the over 120 million people are tightly packed into small spaces.

This has lead to the significant expansion of the mobile gaming market which accumulated $11 billion in sales. Gaming on phones is incredibly accessible and most of the games are designed for people with little time to play say, a time-consuming adventure or RPG game like "The Elder Scrolls" and "Final Fantasy." A handheld console like the Switch fulfills the same purpose of being able to take it anywhere, allowing people to play games in short bursts.

At the same time, it's also packing a lot of power. Packing 4 GB, 4 CPU cores, and 768 MHz when docked, the Switch is capable of handling intense fighting games at 1080p and 60 frames per seconds (FPS)—if "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" handling up to eight characters in a stage is any indication.

The Switch's power allows for all types of games to be on the system, including open world games like "The Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild" and "Skyrim." This allows for large games to make a big impact on the system. Evidently, Japanese video game companies like Nintendo and Konami are pleased with the sales of the system, the latter of which brought back the "Bomberman" series. Notably, "Super Bomberman R" sold over a million copies.

The Switch's continued success might ensure a bright future ahead for the Japanese gaming industry.