I've Stopped Wearing Bras, Permanently
popular

I've Stopped Wearing Bras, Permanently

My not-so-secret secret to defying social norms and feeling comfortable.

2040
I've Stopped Wearing Bras, Permanently
ehrlichhannah / Instagram

It all started this past semester, going into my freshman year of college, where the weather is hot and there is no dress code barriers. I decided to take comfort into my own hands, which has led me five months down the line with the same mindset.

I've stopped wearing bras, permanently.

Now before you sneer in judgment hear me out. Like most, I'm not comfortable with the whole world seeing my breasts as I proceed through my daily activities. In fact, when I wear a sheer or tight shirt I put a bralette or sports bra on because that makes me most comfortable. This is why I'm not advocating #FreeTheNipple but instead #BralessMovement.

I despise the fact that breasts are supposed to be constrained with straps and paddings and locks as if they need their own corsets. Even more, I despise the fact that women have to shell out 50 dollars or more for a decent one.

There is no right way breasts should look.

We, as women, do not need to strain ourselves to make them form an unrealistic shape so men find them appealing.

SEE ALSO: Bras Are Annoying, So I Stopped Wearing Them

After the first month of going #BralessMovement, I had forgotten what it was like to be uncomfortable in a bra. I felt relaxed and at ease knowing men no longer had one up on me. To my surprise after five months of living this way still, no one has said anything.

Before I wrote this article, I decided to ask around to some of the close women in my life and see why they felt more comfortable with bras. It turns out the back issues I face when wearing a bra, some women face by not wearing a bra. Which makes complete sense as to why women would decide to.

Not only that, but some women just flat out feel more sexy with a bra. And for that reason, I say good for you. I'm not here to put a negative stigma on bras, just on the social norm that bras are the right and only way to be accepted.

So before you tighten your straps, ask yourself this. Am I comfortable in a bra? If the answer leans toward no, then try tackling the #BralessMovement and see how it works for you.