One Step Forward And Two Steps Back: America In The Eyes Of A 20-Year-Old

We try to make progress but never seem to fully make it.

10

The United States of America is amidst a giant debate over which bathroom transgender citizens should be able to use. Target allows transgender people to use whichever bathroom matches their gender identity, which in my opinion is rational and a step in the right direction for America, considering there have been zero incidences of a transgender person assaulting anyone in a bathroom. However, it seems as though that is the only thing this country can think about. As a nation we are constantly moving one step forward and two steps back.

All that's discussed is this new policy or the presidential election. Now of course the election is incredibly relevant and important, but there are other things happening that no one seems to care about. We're completely disregarding things that are more relevant or that hit home.

What about the fact that schools across America are becoming more segregated? This is something that may float around for a hot second, but no one's going to say or do anything about this. What about how a plane flying from France to Egypt went missing?

We're going to think about that for a day or two, but then we're going to continue to debate over the same two topics. Over and over again. And nothing will change.

The issue with our country is that all we do is debate and fight over controversial topics, but no action is taken. As a nation we just address issues. We talk about how students across the nation face an absurd amount of stress and face mental illness, but what changes have occurred? None.

It seems as though all we're doing is setting up future generations in a way that they're not going to be as happy and live in a world that's happy and optimistic. All they know is conflict after conflict and bad news after bad news. We are surrounded by conflicts and debates and inconsistency. We never focus on what can be good because what's good for some people is bad for others.

I'm not saying we all have to agree on everything — because let's be real, that's impossible — but maybe if we all actually attempted to work together in unity instead of striking each other down on our differences, we could solve some of these issues and actually make this country great again.

Americans just all need to sit over some coffee (that maybe isn't in a red cup without Christmas decorations so we don't offend anyone) and work together and talk rather than interrupt each other, bring others down, and tell each other why their opinions are wrong.