Expensive Summer Makeup That's Worth Every Penny
Beauty Fashion

17 Reasons You, A Makeup Lover, Will Be Broke Before Summer's Over

Makeup can be expensive, but that's not going to stop me or many other makeup lovers from draining their bank accounts this summer.

729

I tricked myself into believing that maybe I could go this summer without getting a job. Perhaps I had saved enough during the school year so I could just skate by this summer. That all changed when multiple of my favorite makeup brands began announcing new products. It was just one swatch and I was hooked. I had to have them. While many new products came out and continue to come out this summer, I included the products and collections that I heard the most about in this article.

1. The "Nudie Patootie" Eyeshadow Palette From Laura Lee Los Angeles

Instagram: @mandamariebmua

After receiving a lot of negative feedback about her first palette, beauty influencer and Alabama-native Laura Lee wowed everyone with her second palette from her line, Laura Lee Cosmetics. Nudie Patootie features 14 neutral eyeshadows each named after different phrases for being naked. The palette includes eight matte shades, two foiled shades, and four shimmery shades. Though this palette was released on April 24th, 2018, I still consider this palette to be perfect for the summertime. You can buy Nudie Patootie from Laura's website for $45.

2. The "Beached" Eyeshadow Palette From Urban Decay

Instagram: @urbandecaycosmetics

Urban Decay Cosmetics has a huge following as they release palette after palette. The new Beached eyeshadow palette is no exception. The Beached palette, that was launched on April 26th, 2018, has eight beach-inspired shades and can be yours for $34. However, the eyeshadow palette is not alone and is actually part of a collection. The collection features the palette, three lipsticks retailing $18 each, two eye pencils retailing for $21 each, and a bronzing powder retailing for $30.

3. Kylie Cosmetics' Kris Kollection

Instagram: @kyliecosmetics

Where would Kim, Khloé, Kourtney, Kendall, and Kylie be without their mother, Kris Jenner? Kardashian-Jenner lovers were so excited when Kris announced her collaboration with Kylie Cosmetics. The entire collection was released on Mother's Day (May 13th, 2018), which was no doubt part of the "Momager's" plan. You can buy the entire collection, which includes a mini lip bundle, an eyeshadow palette, a lipstick, a lip liner, and a face palette, as a bundle for $150. Each shade name is inspired by some of Kris Jenner's most iconic quotes.

4. The "Beach Please" Collection From Fenty Beauty

Instagram: @fentybeauty

Rihanna's cosmetics line, Fenty Beauty, released this collection on May 21st, 2018. Unfortunately, the collection is not sold as a bundle so the products are sold individually. That being said, you can buy the Killawatt Highlighter Bundle for $344. This bundle includes two Killawatt Freestyle Solo Highlighters, four Killawatt Freestyle Duo Highlighters, three Killawatt Foil Duos, and a Highlighting Brush. If you want to pick and choose which Killawatt Highlighters you want, they're $36 each. There are two iridescent lip trios and each trio is $32. The two liquid eye shimmers are $26 each. Also available in the collection: Fenty has released a $34 kabuki brush and a $42 "fairy bomb" which is a powder puff filled with glitter. Talk about a pricey collection!

5. The "Dream Glow Kit" Highlighting Palette From Anastasia Beverly Hills

Instagram: @anastasiabeverlyhills

Anastasia Beverly Hill's released their fifth highlighting palette (the Dream Glow Kit) on May 22nd, 2018. This $45 palette includes six vegan shades that are bound to keep your highlight on fleek all summer long.

6. The "Rose Gold Palette Remastered" From Huda Beauty

Instagram: @hudabeauty

Beauty blogger turned entrepreneur Huda Kattan released the Huda Beauty Rose Gold Palette Remastered on May 22nd, 2018. If you think the shades in this palette look a bit familiar, you're correct. This palette is Huda Beauty's discontinued Rose Gold Palette repackaged and with better formulas. You can get your new and improved rose gold shades for a whopping $65.

7. Morphe's Collaboration With Nikita Dragun

Instagram: @trendmood1

Nikita Dragun is a transgender Youtube beauty influencer with a large following. Her beautiful and bold personality was an inspiration for Morphe's five, red Mega Matte Lipsticks. The lipsticks come in the shades Dominate, Steamy, Morphe, Lover, and Tease. You can buy the lipsticks individually for $9 or all five for $35. If this price point is still out of your price range, you can use Nikita's code 'DRAGUN' for 10% off.

8. The "Life's A Drag" Eyeshadow Palette From Lunar Beauty

Instagram: @lunarbeauty

If you're the type of makeup lover who loves using soft, neutral tones but isn't afraid to play with some color, the Life's A Drag palette from Lunar Beauty is perfect for you! The palette, which launched on June 2nd, 2018, is the first product from Lunar Beauty. Lunar Beauty was created by beauty influencer and first male brand ambassador for Maybelline, Manny Guitierrez. However, most of his fans know him as Manny MUA. For just $45, you can get your own Life's A Drag palette and create some "sickening" looks as well!

9. The Crayola Cosmetics Collection

Instagram: @asos

Here it is the brand that inspired so many of us to use color and create anything we want. Crayola launched their HUGE (but perhaps a bit pricey) collection on June 4th, 2018. There are three different mascaras in black, electric blue, and turquoise for $16 each, four highlighter crayons for $17.50 each, two eyeshadow palettes for $29 each, a face palette for $29, and a custom lip palette (similar to the one from Anastasia Beverly Hills) for $35. The brand has also released seven lip + cheek crayon trios for $29 each. However, if you want a lip + cheek crayon of a specific color, you can buy each of the 37 for $14.50 each. To complete the collection, Crayola is also offering a brush set (of five) with a case for $40. But before you launch into a nostalgia-induced shopping spree, look up some reviews online. Personally, I watched videos from James Charles, Jeffree Star, Laura Lee, and a few others. Everyone I watched was severely disappointed with the quality. But if you're brave, the entire collection is available at ASOS and students get 10% off 24/7.

10. The "Born to Run" Collection From Urban Decay

Instagram: @urbandecaycosmetics

On June 12th, 2018, Urban Decay was back at it again with another gorgeous collection. The Born to Run Collection is inspired travel and, if you're like me, makes you long for a vacation. The Born to Run eyeshadow palette features 21 shades and retails for $49. The collection also includes three lipsticks for $18 each, three eyeliners for $21 each, and a travel-sized setting spray for $15.

11. Colourpop's No Filter Foundation, Setting Powder, and Pressed Powder

Instagram: @hellomissniki

After the brand's success with their $6 high-coverage No Filter Concealer, Colourpop fans were begging for a foundation to match. On June 14th, 2018, Colourpop exceeded everyone's expectations. Not only did they release a foundation, but they also released a loose setting powder and a pressed powder. The No Filter Foundation comes in 42 shades which is a larger shade range than many more luxurious brands offer. You can buy the foundation for only $12. The loose setting powder comes in three shades (translucent, banana, and translucent deep) and is available for $9. The pressed powder is also $9 and comes in six shades. Personally, I don't consider any brand to be "drugstore brand" unless I can find it at my local Walmart. While it may not be a drugstore brand, Colourpop is by far one of the most affordable brands around.

12. The New Summer Collection From Jeffree Star Cosmetics

Instagram: @chantelleelisebeauty

Regardless of whether or not you like him or agree with his views, Jeffree Star consistently puts out products with incredible formulas. Therefore, no one was surprised when Jeffree Star Cosmetics released its exquisite summer collection. He released eight of his Velour Liquid Lipsticks that are $18 each. If you feel the need for all eight of these shades, you can buy them as a bundle for $105 (which saves you $39). There's also four new delicious Velour Lip Scrubs in the flavors Pink Lemonade, Rainbow Sherbert, Orange Gummy Bear, and Grape Soda for $12 each. My favorite part of the collection, though, is the mouth-watering Thirsty eyeshadow palette that retails for $49. Don't forget all of the new apparel available on the site too!

13. Jaclyn Hill's Second Collaboration With Morphe

Instagram: @morphebrushes

It may have been released over a year ago, but makeup lovers are still going crazy over the Jaclyn Hill x Morphe palette. It was no surprise that when Jaclyn announced a part two, her fans went nuts. The Jaclyn Hill x Morphe Vault Collection consists of four palettes that can be bought individually for $15 or all four together for $49. Each palette has ten shades that Jaclyn made with Morphe to put in the original collaboration palette but ended up not using. Each palette has a different theme: Ring The Alarm (warm tones), Armed and Gorgeous (the yellow palette), Bling Boss (purple shades), and Dark Magic (cool, dark tones). The Vault was originally set to launch on June 26th, 2018. However, Morphe released a statement on June 21st saying that due to inconsistent production, the launch date would be delayed. Though makeup lovers worldwide were disappointed that they couldn't dip their brushes in and blend right away, everyone has commended Morphe and Jaclyn for their commitment to the quality of their products. Though the new launch date hasn't been announced yet, I'm super excited to purchase the entire collection on the Morphe site.

14. Colourpop's Sol + Mar Collection

Instagram: @colourpopcosmetics

Colourpop is on this list multiple times because they keep "pop"-ing out incredible products. The Sol + Mar Collection (which launched June 29th, 2018) is inspired by the sun and the sea: perfect for a beautiful summertime look. You can buy the entire collection for $68. With a collection comprised of four Super Shock Highlighters, three Ultra Blotted Lips, and two palettes, this price is a steal. Each highlighter is $8, each Blotted Lip is $6 (or $16 altogether), and each palette is $12.

15. The Norvina Eyeshadow Palette From Anastasia Beverly Hills

Instagram: @anastasiabeverlyhills

The fifth eyeshadow palette from Anastasia Beverly Hills is named after the daughter of Anastasia herself: Norvina Claudia. The palettes feature lovely purple and pink shades arranged in a way very similar to the way their past palettes are organized. Though reviewers of the palette said that the formula was powdery and had a lot of fall out, the pigments were still beautiful and worked super well. Try your hand at these shadows yourself when it launches on July 17th, 2018 for $42.

16. Boss Babe And Party Animal From Laura Lee Los Angeles

YouTube: Laura Lee

On July 11th, 2018, Laura Lee revealed the newest product products from her line. There are two mini eyeshadow palettes: Boss Babe and Party Animal. The Boss Babe palette is full of the neutral shades Laura Lee Los Angeles is known for while the Party Animal palette provides bright, neon colors for more weekend vibes. You can buy the palettes individually for $19 or together as a bundle for $30 on July 18th, 2018.

17. Colourpop's My Little Pony Collection

Instagram: @beautically

This makeup collection is kind of a bonus one. The My Little Pony Collection was actually released October 5th, 2017. Unfortunately, the collection has been discontinued and Colourpop is now doing a last call. They are selling what they have left of the collection and making no more of it. You can now buy what's left of the collection off of Colourpop's site for a discounted price. You can buy the palette for $12.80, the brush set for $15.40, the makeup bag for $12.60, lip glosses for $4.80 each, and matte liquid lipsticks for $5.20. This is actually a bittersweet moment for me. The My Little Pony palette was my first palette from Colourpop and it's what made me fall in love with the brand. This is definitely a collection you want to get before it's gone.

While there are some products from this list I don't ever plan on purchasing (I'm looking at you, Crayola), a majority of these products sound top notch. I hate that I wasn't able to list every single launch I heard about this summer, because they all sounded interesting and I'd love to get my hands on them. Let's be honest though: if I were to list every bit of makeup that I wanted on here, this would no longer be the Odyssey; it would be Makeup-This-Poor-College-Girl-Can't-Afford.com. Despite that, my love for makeup continues to grow and it's important to remember that you don't need the fanciest and most expensive "equipment" to do what you love.