Slow Down Instead of Rushing
Nature Animals

We Need To Slow Down Instead Of Always Rushing

I wanted nothing more than to sit in the park for hours, it turns out I needed it.

83
Great Blue Heron on Edge of Lake
Corrinne Brubaker

If you've read any of my posts, you probably know by now that I love going to the park and watching birds and other wildlife or looking at plants and flowers that catch my eye. The simple practice of enjoying nature for even a few minutes has an effect on my emotional well-being that few other things do. It rejuvenates me and puts me at peace when I otherwise get depressed or anxious being inside and busy all the time.

Sometimes I don't have the time to sit in the park as long as I wish, but I want to sit in the park for hours and allow nature to completely slow me down. I would have the chance to observe wildlife for a longer time and be involved rather than have to rush through it.

In junior high and high school, I would sit on the grass in the front yard sometimes for three hours while I did my homework. I would bask in the sun until I had my fill of nature. Sometimes a few minutes isn't enough to take it all in and reset. I love sitting in the park for hours enjoying nature, in fact, I need it.

For a while, I have been craving this much needed hours a day in the park, but I was really busy with school, life, and moving. For a whole week, we didn't go to the park at all. For some people that's normal, but for me it's hard. I get depressed and anxious; I can't survive without my daily dose of nature. The last few days, however, life has slowed down enough. We made time and went to the park for two or three hours a day. I can finally sit in the park for hours like I always wanted to.

The one day we sat at the lake. I revised poems for my final, sitting on a bench surrounded by seagulls and boat-tailed grackle. They made a commotion as I worked away, looking out on the lake. The male grackles fluffed their iridescent blue feathers and made gurgling sounds, they probably thought it sounded attractive, but I laughed. When you sit for a while, you see more; you get a more intimate look at wildlife I noticed birds I never would have if I walked through the park quickly.

I was still enough that birds weren't afraid to come closer than they may have normally. A great blue heron landed ten feet in front of us. He casually proceeded to groom himself. His long feathers were styled and blowing in the wind. Normally these birds are skittish, they fly away if you get too close, but I got to just sit on my bench and watch him do his thing.

I look forward to having more chances like this to fully enjoy nature without rushing through, to see more birds and appreciate them; I feel so at peace and rested when I do. We all need to slow down and spend time with what makes us feel alive and not always rush through it as we often do.