She's Beautiful When She's Angry

She's Beautiful When She's Angry

51
She's Beautiful When She's Angry

She's Beautiful When She's Angry is a film about the often overlooked history of the feminist movement from the 60's to the early 70's. It follows the creation of NOW, the National Organization for Women, and even radical movements like WITCH, Women's International Conspiracy From Hell. This movie is increasingly relevant today as women continue to fight for their reproductive rights, equal pay, and against sexual harassment.

This movie follows prominent figures of the feminist movement. Using a combination of footage from the 60's-70's and interviews both new and old. It discusses many different activists and activist groups as they talk about their involvement in early feminism and how it has changed history. Women like Ellen Willis, Muriel Fox, Jo Freeman, Alice Wolfson, Judith Arcana, and many more come together to share their experiences as feminists when there were very few people fighting for women's rights.

She's Beautiful When She's Angry talks about many huge triumphs women have had in the past and many groundbreaking moments that are often forgotten in traditional history classes. Not only does it talk about these historical moments, it celebrates the strides these women have made towards gender equality in the United States. It followed the exhilarating moments much like when groups of women held a protest at the Statue of Liberty and hung signs calling for equality. It uses clips from protests much like the one at the Statue of Liberty, marches, group meetings, poetry readings, and so much more to create a well-rounded perspective on early feminism.

Not only is She's Beautiful When She's Angry a fascinating and well-made film, it also provides a comprehensive history of the women's liberation movement. It portrays the spirit of the movement and praises all of the hard work each woman put into the women's liberation. It also approaches some of the complications associated with the feminist movement as it grew and evolved. They often experienced trouble when it came to leadership within the community, inclusiveness of all races and sexualities, and division of class. The movie is the first to admit the movement had it's complications, but it showed how it has grown and become more inclusive since it's earlier days.

She's Beautiful When She's Angry has received a great deal of praise in the feminist community and was nominated for Best Documentary by or About Women by the Women Film Critics Circle Awards. This movie is currently playing at select theaters, check there website to find a showing near you.