To The Rescue Dog That Taught Me Wisdom, Thank You
Dogs

To The Rescue Dog That Gave Me Wisdom, Thank You For Everything That You Do

Not only is she named Wisdom, she embodies all that the word represents and showed me unconditional love.

91
dog
Jordan Dobbs

Wisdom: (definition) "the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise."

Seven years ago this December, a little mutt entered our hearts and made a permanent residence. One Saturday, my mother and sister were out running errands, shopping for dog food for our one-year-old red heeler. As they walked into the pet store that afternoon, they walked into adoption day. My mom's eyes fell onto this little black puppy curled up in a ball sound asleep as the other dogs barked up a storm. She held her for a few minutes before she knew she wasn't going to walk out of that store without her in tow.

Next, they called me at home. I was curious as to when they'd be home to bring home lunch like they had said they would. Instead of answering my question, they told me all about this little black puppy that needed a home. I was hesitant as we already had a wild one-year-old who still needed plenty of training. They dismissed my remarks and an hour or so later, my family stepped out of the car with a little puppy in my sister's arms. I was shocked. I didn't think they'd actually bring home a dog. Before I could ask what her name would be, my mom had chosen the name Wisdom. That name would parallel with our red heeler's name of Justice. Justice and Wisdom, the perfect pairing -- almost.

My family informed me of her story and how they could not walk away from little Wisdom. Her name had been Merle. She was 3 months old and abandoned. She had a family previously and they decided to put her out on the street. Later, she was in a kill shelter. On a whim, she got a single weekend to be adopted into a forever home or return to the shelter. Now, of course, we couldn't let her go. She deserved a life full of love and family. She was so young, with so much potential.

However, the volunteers had told our family little Merle was part Catahoula. Those dogs get to be around 90 pounds. Wisdom is seven years old now and 35 pounds. I don't think they had that correct.

Wisdom quickly adapted to our family routine but was unsure of her new brother. After a while, the two became inseparable. Best friends. Adopted siblings. A dynamic duo.

Within the seven years that Wisdom has been a part of our family, she has brought us so much joy. Wisdom stood by my and my sisters' sides as we endured the hard parts of middle school and high school. She slept beside us as we were sick. She never acted out or misbehaved and always showed the best behavior and love towards her family. Even curiously loving the cats.

Wisdom has shown me that second chances are possible and to never give up on hope. Through her hardships at a young age, she endured through it all as the happiest and most loving pup. She does not let her past define her present. Wisdom embodies a wise demeanor with a selfless care for her family. She knows how to light up a room with her funny noises. She can make you laugh randomly. She's never a challenge.

From entering our wild family, Wisdom has provided so much wisdom into the strength of recovery. She recovered from the darkest part of life and is now surrounded by love that carries you into a warm light of happiness. When I was at my lowest in life, Wisdom comforted me. Her presence let me know that anything is possible, that there will be light. She became everyone's companion to discovering happiness. A dog can be one of the best stress-reliefs, lowering blood pressure and adding a smile. Wisdom does exactly that. She pulled my family out of sadness with her big brown eyes staring back at us with adoration.

Wisdom gave not only me wisdom, but she brought it to my family. As well as providing some for her brother Justice, who could use it at times. Having a dog that represents a virtue of knowledge and another that represents a virtue of resilience, empowers each of us every day as we come to love them more than ever each day.