nike campaigns

Sorry, Nike, But The Ultimate Sacrifice Is Your Life, Not Your Reputation

To everyone in uniform, you are the angels.

145

I want to say I believe in God, but gun to my head, I'm really not sure.

I don't think I could ever fully say that I put all my trust in him and that under his guidance I feel comfort. At times, I like to think that he is watching over me, like a bandage to put on my wounds as I am in fear. But in truth, is there a God out there? Cause I really don't know.

God. He sacrificed his only son to die on the cross to rid us of our sins. Jesus, he knew what would happen if he preached the word of God. He knew what could happen, yet in the face of fear and death, he stood up and preached about God and the Holy Spirit. Thousands worship him for this dedication and sacrifice. Every year, people of all ethnic groups crowd the church hall on Easter morning, and they mourn his loss on Good Friday to give thanks to his sacrifice.

God gives us guardians angels to come down to earth and protect us. You think of them as these bright holy creatures, with halos shinning over their heads and long majestic wings glowing out of them. I've prayed a lot to God before. I prayed for him to take away my pain during my hours of darkness, to heal the sick, and to give me guidance. I never heard an answer. I never felt his hands touching me and pulling me close to him in redemption. But, day after day, I saw and felt the presence of angles in the world, sacrificing everything that they ever knew to keep me safe, to make sure I can live healthily, and to make sure that I can find light out of the darkness.

To the men and woman in uniform, you might as well have wings because you are the angels that walk among us.

Recently, Nike has implemented a new advertisement campaign featuring quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who became famous in 2016 for his political stance after kneeling during the national anthem during an N.F.L. game to protest social injustice. Since then, his political stance was echoed in football stadiums all over. As the following 13 months went on, others in the N.F.L joined Kaepernick in raising their fists in the air and kneeling down. Their stance is motivated by the social injustice in the states.

In 2016, Kaepernick told the Washington Post, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." Indeed, the flag has flown in a country that has been facing racial tensions since the start of history. Hate crimes are still being committed, and racism still lies deep within the streets. Even though things such as the Jim Crow laws were abolished a little over 50 years ago, people of color still find themselves facing racial discrimination in a country that they are supposed to call home.

However, the flag that flaps high in the breeze has nothing to do with representing a nation of social injustices, but a fight for freedom and equality. A nation born under the temptation of rebellion, the United States, has driven itself in creating an accepting home. However, the country is still young and working towards perfection. Nothing is born into perfection, and it needs to be molded. According to The American Legion, the white stripes on the flag represents purity and innocence, the red stands for hardiness and valor, and the blue marks vigilance, perseverance, and justice. The United States is a growing and developing country, and the flag represents the fight for freedom.

The men and women in uniform who leave their homes every day without a second thought of what the world has in store for them are ones who are sacrificing everything. While people are sleeping peacefully, they are out in the world fighting to bring home safety and freedom for their country. They put their lives on the line every day as they put on their uniforms, allowing people to go about their day without a second thought. How often do we really stop and worry about our next terrorist attack? Even if we are worried, we have been taught since a young age how to dial 911. There is always someone out there watching your back, in your hometown, in a country far away, or even in your school hallways. There is no concept of fear for them and there is no mission too impossible.

They never ask for a "thank you" before running into the storm.

They leave their families for weeks, months and years on end. They sacrifice their daughters' first steps, their children's choir recitals, and their graduations to be out there to bring the hope and freedom that as country, we have been fighting for. They are fighting, and they are ready to give the ultimate sacrifice: their lives.

The United States is not perfect. Hate crimes, violence, discrimination, and sexism is still a cruel reality of this land. Taking a knee during the National Anthem is not a protest for equality, but a spit in the face to the people who are out there fighting for it. The ultimate sacrifice is when you risk your own life. It is when you put thousands of strangers' lives, who support or don't support you, before your own.

Stand for the National Anthem and give respect to those who have fallen and those who never asked for a thank you. Give a thank you to the guardian angels that walk this planet. And if you want freedom, stand up and fight. Make a sacrifice because that is worth more than your reputation.