New York Abortion Law

Just Because New York Is Changing Their Abortion Laws Doesn’t Mean You Have To Change Your Morals

I believe that one reason laws are changed dramatically is because of the uproar of attention that the government receives after doing so.

404
https://unsplash.com/photos/HbgNqOTHEqs

Abortion is a touchy subject for anyone to talk about, but I think it's time we start talking about it.

I understand that there are circumstances where a couple or a woman has no choice but to end a pregnancy due to health conditions or whatever the case may be, and I believe that is her (or a couple's) business as far as I'm concerned.

You may pose the argument that no one can make the decision about what a woman can do with her body except her but I'm going to pose the argument that it's an easy decision to make when that decision is going to affect other people.

New York recently passed new legislation that a pregnancy can be ended up until the day the child is born (on the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, I may add), and this is a little extreme if you ask me.

I was born at 36 weeks, 4 weeks shy of full term. I was born perfectly healthy and have lived an extremely healthy, athletic, successful life but you're telling me that my parents could have killed me the day before I was born? I had hair and nails and I moved my arms and legs and wiggled my toes and opened my eyes, all without the help of my parents I may add, but they could have killed me?

There's a place that a line needs to be drawn. I would hate to be the one that has to decide where exactly that line should be drawn for this very reason, but still, it needs to be drawn. I don't really ride the abortion train in general but if a child could be born and live a sustainable life abortion should not even be an option for a parent.

If a child is able to be born and live a life on their own, and by own its own I don't mean cooking for themselves and walking, I mean without depending on an umbilical cord and its mother's womb to survive, your decision to end a pregnancy is now affecting another life. Why would you want to end that and why would you even let pregnancy get that far before making a decision?

I'm trying very hard to rationalize with New York's thinking and how they came about making this decision, but I have yet to be able to wrap my mind around that fact that it is now completely legal for a baby that was born at 3:40 pm to have been killed at 3:34 if that's what the parent or parents wanted. That woman knows that she still has to deliver that baby right? Now what, do you throw it away? Do you have a funeral? Do you cope with the fact that you just decided to murder someone?

I'm sure that they will soon be the talk of repealing the recent New York legislation that was passed simply because of the uproar of attention that it has attracted. I'm also sure that medical professionals will soon want to get involved because this legislation will be challenging their beliefs and practices. What I'm not sure about is if anything will be done about it or if anything about the law will be changed.

I believe that corporate law will continue to challenge people's beliefs and their ethical decisions. I believe that one reason laws are changed dramatically is because of the uproar of attention that the government receives after doing so.

I believe that as long as you are doing what you believe is morally and ethically right that the laws don't actually matter that much, what matters is if you are willing to do what's right for you despite the change in the law.