No Apologies For Studying Abroad
Lifestyles

I Will Never Be Sorry For Studying Abroad, Despite Your Jealousy

Travel is never a matter of money, but more so a matter of courage.

151
Photo by Slava Bowman on Unsplash

One thing that I have learned since being abroad is that I had to start living my life unapologetically for me. This meant that I would do the things that I wanted and when I wanted and I didn't owe anyone an explanation as to why I was doing what I'm doing or how I got to do the things that I do. I have learned that there are some things in life you should apologize for, but studying abroad is not one of them.

I am not sorry that my parents pushed me to study abroad so that I could gain confidence in myself. I am not sorry that my parents financially supported me the first month that I was abroad. I am not sorry that I travel somewhere new every week. I am not sorry that I am making my own dreams come true every day before my eyes. I am not sorry that I am living the life of my dreams. I am not sorry I am studying abroad on a scholarship. I am not sorry that my life is 'better' (your words, not mine) than yours. I am not sorry that I have been able to ride camels on the coast of Africa, scooter through Paris, and ride bikes through the countryside of Amsterdam. I am not sorry for anything.

I am not sorry for anything I am accomplishing abroad because everything I do abroad, I do for me. I do these things abroad to fill my tank of life, to cross things off of my bucket list, to make me happy. I live my life to make myself happy, now. And I am so sorry that you are struggling with watching my life my best life. I am sorry that you can't handle the thought of me thriving. I am sorry that you can't be supportive and that you let your jealousy take over and uproot our friendship.

There are some things that I will never have to apologize for doing in life and bettering myself by traveling isn't one of those things. Studying abroad has taught me things no textbook will ever be able to do. I have learned things that no teacher could ever teach me, that no mentor could ever prepare me for. I am learning every day, new things about me and I'm learning these things on my own, in a new country because you can't teach me anything about me. The only person who can teach me about me and my potential is me, and traveling the world allows me to do this. Everything I do abroad, I do selflessly and I wish you had the opportunity to do the same.