April 4th-10th Is National Public Health Week; Here's Everything You Need To Know

Because for every single person around the world, "Public Health is Where You Are".

1113
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels

Every year, the American Public Health Association (APHA) puts together themes and events surrounding National Public Health Week (NPHW), which takes place during the first full week in April. The overall theme for this year's National Public Health Week is "Public Health is Where You Are".

Each day throughout the week has different themes, too. Each theme is centered around an important topic in the field of public health. This year, these themes are:

Monday: Racism: A Public Health Crisis

Tuesday: Health Workforce: Essential to Our Future

Wednesday: Community: Collaboration and Resilience

Thursday: World Health Day: Health is a Human Right

Friday: Accessibility: Closing the Health Equity Gap

Saturday: Climate Change: Taking Action for Equity

Sunday: Mental Wellness: Redefining the Meaning of Health

Each day throughout the week has events that foster conversations surrounding the respective daily theme. The full list of events can be found here. Another fun way to celebrate NPHW is to take part in their campaign #ThankYouPublicHealth, which thanks essential workers for everything that they have done over the past couple of years. There are also numerous events to take part in on Thursday, April 7th, which is World Health Day.

If the COVID-19 pandemic has taught us anything, it's that public health issues affect us all. National Public Health Week gives us the opportunity to celebrate all of the accomplishments that have been made in the field of public health, as well as look ahead to all the challenges we are working to overcome. Whatever you choose to do to take part in this week's events, know that you are furthering important conversations on how to improve the lives of those all across the world.

More information about National Public Health Week and ways to get involved can be found here.