I'm An Introvert, And Yes, I Love It

I'm An Introvert, And Yes, I Love It

There are times when my thoughts are my best company.

982
I'm An Introvert, And Yes, I Love It
Linnea Shapter

In a previous article, I briefly mentioned believing the distinction between introvert and extrovert to be too simplistic. I still have my doubts regarding this introvert versus extrovert binary. Regardless, I am usually willing to admit I fall way further to the introverted end of the spectrum, though at times I want to deny this. It makes sense, my occasional denial. Extroverts seem to have all the fun. They exude confidence. Meeting new people doesn’t jump-start their fight-or-flight instincts and cause them to want to flee into the abyss.

However, I am now attempting to embrace, rejoice in, and love my introverted state of being.

From personal experience, I have found being introverted actually carries benefits. There is something really awesome about savoring the time you have by yourself because ultimately every person will face times in which they are their only company. For most of my life, I have very much enjoyed hanging out with myself.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I actually find myself quite amusing — I can keep myself entertained with my own thoughts for hours. The recognition of this fact has led to a great jump in my self-confidence. I can acknowledge I am actually quite funny, intelligent, and thoughtful even if many of my jokes, thoughts, and witty observations never leave the confines of my own mind.

Yet, contrary to what might be frequently assumed about introverts, I do not just thrive in complete solitude. As a matter of fact, being in a crowd is quite a thrilling experience largely because I am a seasoned people-watcher. I may not have the most words to say in a social situation, but I sure will have a lot of thoughts going through my head.

For example, I have found working in the library is not always the most efficient study method as I sometimes get distracted observing the nuances of people’s interactions as if I were some kind of ethnographer of millennial college students.

Even when I am feeling my most vibrant and outgoing, when I am letting go and dancing without shame at a party, I have a million of observations I am scribing in my head as if I were simultaneously journaling.

As a final benefit I will highlight, when you are introverted, you can also be sure the people in your life are really special. Personally, I know I am rarely myself when I first meet people, and I often times find myself quite nervous, quiet, and awkward. It’s ridiculous, really.

Here I am, minoring in English, writing weekly articles, and producing countless papers per quarter and yet I have difficulty putting a coherent sentence together when speaking to a new person. I am even concerned my shyness makes me come across as rude, snobby, or boring.

I have been working on being less nervous in new social settings and I do think I have improved in becoming more outgoing and socially confident. Even still, all of my friends who were patient enough to stick with me and get to know me through my awkward times I understand are amazing people worth keeping in my life.

I am sure it is just as great being more extroverted. Indeed, I am in awe of those people who can easily carry on with strangers without their hearts turning into bass drums.

What is important, I believe, is that we embrace who we are. No matter if you are outgoing or shy, easy to talk to or hopelessly awkward, you add to the world and to your own self. I have accepted this and, as a result, I have learned to love and enjoy my introverted self.