20 Life Lessons I Have Learned From Individuals With Disablities

My life is changed for the better.

5

Growing up, I loved to volunteer at Deepwood Industries. I would volunteer in the greenhouse, Special Olympics, and work on projects with my girl scout troop, and that it how I got my foot in the door to this industry. For the past year, I have been working as a workshop specialist substitute, and it has changed my life. Last summer I worked every day, and there was never a dull moment. There are so many things that the individuals that I work with have taught me. I have been able to take my experiences and turn them into life lessons.

1. If you are going to be a leader, you have to be enthusiastic to get that in return.

2. If you don't respect others, they won't respect you.

3. Even if I am having the worst day ever, it could be considered someone's best day.

4. Show interest when you are communicating with someone because nobody wants to feel like they are a chore.

5. Be grateful for every opportunity you are given.

6. Go outside of your comfort zone; overcome your fears.

7. Always have a smile on your face, and say hello.

8. Be patient with others and yourself.

9. It is okay to make mistakes in life. It happens to everyone.

10. Forgive easily.

11. Nobody is perfect; embrace your flaws.

12. The precious saying, "don't judge a book by its cover."

13. Having a disability is not something to look at negatively. Everyone is different, and that is okay.

14. Do your best; don't let anyone tell you that it isn't enough.

15. Everyone has a story.

16. Treat your peers how you want to be treated.

17. If it's not nice, don't say it. Even if you don't think someone is listening, they probably are.

18. Don't talk down to others.

19. Always give a helping hand when you see someone struggling. Even if they are just a stranger.

20. Don't make assumptions of others; everyone deserves a chance.

Though there are so many things I could say, I am grateful for the relationships that I have made in the past two years. Society can be a harsh environment, and it's not always easy to get the same chance at things as others. Disabilities can range from so many things. Anyone can develop a disability, and it is okay to be different from another. No one person is the same as another, let alone perfect in any way. I am blessed to have had the opportunities I have had growing up, and I'm excited to continue to strengthen the relationships I have made this summer. Put yourself in someone else's shoes before judging them.

#stoptherword