A letter on learning to love yourself.
Shopping

A Letter On Self-Love

Have you ever wondered if you're friends with yourself?

121
A Letter On Self-Love

I mean, I know the person inside my head pretty well, as I'm sure you do too. But am I on good terms with her? That's a question.

We definitely struggle. I've fought with the person in my head, the person in the mirror for so long now. I didn't want to accept her. There have always been things outside of me, things that made me wish she was different. I wished to be more outgoing, more loud, more confident, more funny. I wished to be anyone else but me.

I want everyone to understand that changing the person inside of you is not the answer.

You do not need to change. I wish you would love yourself. I wish you would smile at the face in the mirror, and feel it all the way through. I wish you would make friends with the person you truly are, the person who lives in your head.

Because the truth is, we have no one else that we can rely on as heavily. We are all, in some capacity, alone. We are alone within ourselves, stuck in our own minds for the rest of our existence. Our own voice is much, much closer than anyone else's. It is much louder. And that voice can be so cruel to us sometimes.

But it wouldn't be so cruel if we would just love ourselves. If you love the person inside of you, and if you would become friends with the person in the mirror, everything else would fall away so quickly. Many of your fears, hesitations, and obstacles would dissipate. You would no longer be fighting that voice in your mind, no longer resisting what it was telling you, what you knew to be true.

I still don't know if I'm friends with the girl in the mirror. But I'm working on it. I know that I am so completely different from every other being on this planet, and that makes me perfectly me. Being different is an amazing thing. It makes you infinitely more spectacular, and infinitely more yourself.

No one will ever be more you than you. And that's an amazing thing, so please do not sell yourself short. Be whoever you are, through and through.

Love yourself.