What To Tell Your Kids When They Ask About 2016

Settle in, kids. This is gonna take a while.

14

2016 has been an interesting year, to say the least. We saw some ups and quite a few downs, but there's no denying that it will be a very significant year in our history for decades to come. And when your kids inevitably ask about it...Settle in, folks. This is gonna take a while.

There was a zoo gorilla named Harambe who was killed and then people made memes about him and some people even voted for him in the presidential election.

There was a game called Pokemon Go and we all lost our minds and a couple pounds because of it.

There were several mass shootings and no major changes in gun laws.

We found Dory, and she was unbelievably cute.

Dabbing was a thing, and I'm not really sure why.

Britain left the EU.

We lost a little bit of imagination.

Leonardo Dicaprio finally won an Oscar.

There was a musical called Hamilton, and getting a ticket was impossible.

Brad and Angelina broke up.

Team U.S.A. killed it at the Rio Olympics and we sat on the couch and felt proud.

Alan Rickman died. If your kids don't know who Snape is, you're about to have another very long conversation.

The cubs won the world series for the first time in 108 years.

Mannequin challenges were a thing.

They tried to install a pipeline through a Native American burial ground.

There was a holocaust in Syria and the U.S. government did nothing about it.

And finally...because I can't leave it out...the 2016 election.

A beautiful, white-haired wizard named Bernie Sanders ran for president.

The U.S. got its first female major party nominee.

The debates were horrifying...but also hilarious.

SNL was there when we needed some comic relief.

A man with no political experience was chosen as the Republican candidate.

He was endorsed by the KKK and was somehow still a candidate.

He was quoted saying, "Grab 'em by the pussy" and was somehow still a candidate.

And....he won the presidential election.

There you have it, kids. 2016.