Is Detox Tea good for you?
Technology

Jameela Jamil Has Done More To Expose Detox Tea Lies Than The FDA

How one Hollywood star is taking on the tyranny of detox tea companies.

223

Celebrities promote products everywhere on social media. Whether it be those famous sugar bears first shown on Kylie Jenner's Instagram back in 2016 or Kim Kardashian showcasing the lollipops that suppress your appetite, these products are shown to millions of people across the world. Oftentimes, celebrities don't even use the product rather just hawk about it on their social media account so that they can earn money. Those who do purchase the items are often left with severe health complications.

For years, the Kardashian family has boasted about using Detox Teas as a quick and easy weight-loss method. They've earned massive amounts of money in sponsorship contracts via social media. But let's be clear about one thing, teas do not detox. Our bodies come with kidneys, livers, and other bodily processes that are designed naturally to detox. These products are no more than a lucrative Trojan Horse masquerading as a "wellness hack," cleverly engineered to get millions of people to abuse laxatives in hopes of looking slim.

Jameela Jamil, an actress on "The Good Place" has made several comments via Instagram showing how hazardous these Detox Teas/ laxatives in disguise can be to a person's mental and physical health. By using humorous skits, Jamil explains that drinking these teas can cause diarrhea and in severe cases, organ damage.

Screenshot of Jameela Jamil sitting on the toilet after drinking the Detox tea the Kardashians promote

i.dailymail.co.uk

Jamil's message has been loud and clear as she's gained global coverage and opened the eyes of millions around the globe to the corrupt and deceptive detox tea market. Bryn Austin, a professor at Harvard's School of Public Health, wrote in an opinion piece for NBC News that "Arguably, she's done this more efficiently and expeditiously than a quarter century of well-intentioned and utterly unglamorous communications from the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

In March, Jamil slammed Khloe Kardashian for promoting detox tea on Instagram saying "If you're too irresponsible to a) own up to the fact that you have a personal trainer, nutritionist, probable chef, and a surgeon to achieve your aesthetic, rather than this laxative product...And b) tell them the side effects of this NON-FDA approved product, that most doctors are saying aren't healthy...then I guess I have to." Her comments were met with praise from fans and since then, Khloe Kardashian has deleted the post that Jamil had called out.

Jameela Jamil still spreads awareness for false ads shown on Instagram and has created a movement called #IWeigh where she and others post their achievements as a sign of what they weigh. I believe Jamil's call out was much needed. In a time where we are obsessed with looking a certain way and following celebrities, we often forget about the dangers of achieving a certain "look." Jamil's educates people about how harmful these products can be and that celebrities don't even use them.