As A Female Baylor Student, I Am Ashamed Jacob Anderson Will Avoid Jail
Survivors

His Name Is Jacob Anderson And We, The Students Of Baylor, Do Not Claim Him

As a female Baylor student, I am ashamed of us.

1023
baylor university

Brock Turner was witnessed raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and sentenced three months in prison.

Cyntoia Brown was kidnapped at 16, forced into sex trafficking, and sentenced 51 years without parole for killing her assailant in self-defense.

On December 11, former Baylor Phi Delta Theta President Jacob Anderson who allegedly drugged, raped and choked a female student at a party was given no jail time and did not have to register as a sex offender as part of a plea deal.

All of the above are gross miscarriages of justice and a reflection of our values as a nation.

Judge Ralph Strother of Waco, a former Baylor undergrad and Law School alumni, accepted a plea deal from Jacob Anderson. ADA Hilary LaBorde, also a Baylor alumna, agreed to dismiss four counts of sexual assault as part of Anderon's plea deal. Anderson's punishment for one of the most heinous crimes a human being can commit is a slap on the wrist in comparison to the punishments of people like Cyntoia Brown. Anderson has agreed to get counseling and pay a $400 fine in return for nothing on his record relating to his probation.

The victim of Jacob Anderson's case immediately took action and contacted the appropriate authorities, submitted a crime report, and even agreed to a rape kit which confirmed she had been raped.

Despite doing everything a victim should do in this case, she is not given justice with Anderson's verdict. Since then, a petition with over 25,000 signatures has been launched opposing the plea agreement. Judge Ralph Strother claims the signers are "misinformed."

Looking at cases like Brock Turner and Jacob Anderson, where money and power are potential sources of abuse to get what they want, is our justice system only open to the highest bidder?

I am ashamed that rape and sexual assault has a home and history on our campus. I am ashamed that there can be people on campus that are capable of crimes like Jacob Anderson. I am ashamed that Baylor alumni like Judge Ralph Strother and Hilary LaBorde made the decision they did, and I am ashamed at the values and morals they have chosen to showcase through their actions after having gone to a Christian school.

On behalf of the majority of Baylor students, I want to say that people like Jacob Anderson are not reflective of our student body and that we do not claim him as one of our own.

We stand in support of all victims who have not been served justice, though I cannot speak for anyone else who is affiliated with Baylor and not a student.

Jacob Anderson is currently enrolled in UT Dallas and attending until his graduation next week.

He has been given a job offer by BDRC Real Estate Firm.