17 Struggles You'll Only Understand If You Grew Up In Cajun Country

Mais, sha! You know dis about be a good one, here!

914
HISTORY / YouTube

It wasn't until I moved to Baton Rouge to go to LSU that I realized South Louisiana and North Louisiana are two totally different things. They might as well be in different states.

Now, I know some of you might be thinking, but wait, isn't Baton Rouge in South Louisiana? Geographically, yes, but in every other sense, no, Baton Rouge is not a part of South Louisiana. By South Louisiana, I mean Cajun Country, those cities Southwest of I-10.

After moving away I soon realized that the speech, culture, hospitality, and food are completely different. I also realized that growing up Louisiana meant different experiences for different people depending on the area you grew up. This led me to then realize that my experience of growing up in the heart of Cajun Country was drastically different than those who grew up in North Louisiana.

If you spent your entire life in Cajun Country and then for whatever reason moved away, then you'll likely understand these 17 struggles.

1. People have a hard time understanding your "accent."

I honestly didn't even know I had an accent until I moved to Baton Rouge.

2. You use words and phrases that no one understands.

Sha? Mais la? Couillon? Don't even consider saying these words around folks from up north because there's a 99% chance they won't have a clue what you're saying.

3. When you leave town and the food just isn't the same.

4. Then you ask for some seasoning and they look at you like

Mais, come on, sha! I just need a lil Tony Chachere's!

5. The hospitality anywhere else just isn't the same.

It's not that people from up north aren't nice...they just aren't nice the way we are down south.

6. When you ask someone for a Coke and they don't ask what kind you want.

Yea, I know I said I wanted a Coke, but I actually want a Sprite.

7. When you meet someone for the first time and they go in for a handshake but you go in for a hug.

There's that Southern hospitality I was talking about.

8. When you tell someone where you're from and they ask if you have a pet alligator.

9. When you're trying to explain to someone from out of town where you're from.

"Where are you from?"

"New Iberia."

"Where?"

"Lafayette."

"Where?"

"Baton Rouge, I'm from Baton Rouge."

"Ahh, okay."

10. When you accidentally let a little Cajun slip out around your friends from up north.

Haha, where did that come from?

11. You're often compared to Swamp People.

12. You've been asked to repeat yourself several times on multiple occasions.

13. You know the gossip is juicy when the old folks start speaking French in the middle of a conversation.

14. Your grandma probably had a cat named Mee-Noo.

"Wait, so T-Bob's real name is Robert?"

16.

17. Despite all this, you know there's no place like Cajun Country.