Gay Marriage Sparks Debate

Gay Marriage Sparks Debate

Love Wins

19
Gay Marriage Sparks Debate

Gay marriage has created a major uproar in the United States recently. As of June 26, 2015, all states licensed and recognized marriage between same-sex couples due to a ruling of the Supreme Court. There has been an array of reactions from one extreme to the next, many of them not hesitating to voice exactly how they feel.

Social media has been flooded with memes and tweets from people all over the world, many of them making a mockery of Jesus or President Barrack Obama with fake quotes from Obama , such as, “I didn’t accept gay marriage, until I needed votes," or Jesus saying, “God loves gays, just don’t be gay.”

While some of us struggled to understand why some people have been having such a hard time accepting gay marriage, there are others who strongly felt it was a terrible idea. Not surprisingly, most of the people opposed to the ruling are religious. They feel same-sex marriage is allowing for unnatural sex that doesn’t create life, which is a punishable sin. Religious people seemed to place gay marriage at the top of the list of sins, as if it’s worse than the other sins. Let us remember all seven of the deadly sins are legal, but I don’t see headlines about people in kerfuffle over that.

While some reacted negatively to the recent change in law, there are many who were happy to see the United States changing to accept more minorities. Many saw this as a positive step. After all, the legalization of gay marriage doesn’t affect those who are not gay; it just allows those who would like to take advantage of the opportunity to get married to a person of the same sex.

In order to show support of gay marriage, many people have raised pride flags. The White House for the first time ever was lit with rainbow colors the night the Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay marriage. The popular slogan and hashtag “Love Wins” has been spotted on posters, T-shirts, social media walls and search bars. I guess it is safe to say now the only time love loses in the great US of A is in tennis.