If You Are From Maine, These Things Matter
Seasonal

As I spent my entire childhood growing up here, Maine will always have a soft spot in my heart.

121
Donald Giannatti

I arrived home from college on May 10th and I have already visited some of my favorite places while home. It seems that this happens whenever I come home from college. As I am often away for a while when I leave home, I always try to visit as many of my favorite places as I can when I arrive back to Maine. Distance definitely brings you closer to the things that matter most, and college is one thing that has definitely taught me this.

Last Friday night I was exhausted as I arrived home from college late, so I didn't end up doing much. Although, the following Saturday I found myself doing a lot—probably when I should have been catching up on the sleep I missed this semester. After I woke up the following day, I drove to Portland, as you could probably guess. Portland is one of my favorite places in Maine, so I decided to grab some lunch at Boba, which is absolutely amazing by the way, and walk around for the rest of my time there. It's the little things that make me the happiest while home, so spending the day walking around Portland was all I needed.

When I think of home while away at college, I often think of the places that make me happiest that I need to re-visit when I return home. I could probably count these places with just my fingers as there are a few places that bring so much light and positivity whenever I visit them.

I am not going to list all of them, but one of these places is Old Orchard Beach. For some reason, OOB is always what comes to mind when I think of Maine, as whenever I am here I feel fully at peace. In the summer it is one of the biggest tourist spots in Maine. Whether it is extremely busy or I am one of few on the beach, I always enjoy my time here.

Maine has many beautiful places that I have begun to appreciate since entering college two years ago. Because I go to school hours away from home in New York, the distance has definitely brought me closer to the things I value most. If you are from Maine, I am sure you understand how much you really begin to miss it when you are away for a while. And if you're not from Maine, I would definitely suggest you visit.