The Excitement For School Contradiction

The Excitement For School Contradiction

I love where I am and where I've been.

8
The Excitement For School Contradiction
Blogspot

As summer comes to a close and a new school year is right around the corner, I have to admit, as a college student, I am excited. I am excited to go back to a place I have made into my second home. I am excited to move and live off campus, to learn, to spend time with my friends that have been separated for months by summer jobs and long distances. The list goes on and on.

Although, I find that a common, and unfortunate misconception that always arises when I express my excitement about the new school year beginning. It is that because of my excitement I do not like it at home or my hometown and that is why I am so desperate to go back. I think there is a big misconception about loving where you came from. To love your college does not mean that you are a raging party animal or you hate home. To love your hometown does not mean you are a washed up high school athlete either. But rather means that you value your family, your old friends, your hometowns traditions, essentially your roots.

I believe you do not have to hate where you came from to be successful in college or life. Just because I love where I am does not mean I don't love where I have been or where I am about to be. I believe that there are different kinds of both comfort and happiness that enrich our lives and they can be found close to home and far away.

So yes, I am going to school soon. And yes, I am excited but that does not devalue the life or experiences I have already had because once back at school, as always, I will miss home.