Hypertension Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment: Dr. Naval Parikh

hypertension can lead to serious health problems

28

Nearly one-third of adults in the United States have hypertension, which is a condition where your blood pressure consistently stays high.

If untreated hypertension can lead to serious health problems such as heart disease, stroke, kidney damage, and other complications.

This article will discuss hypertension types, symptoms, causes, and treatment by Dr. Naval Parikh.

What is Hypertension?

Hypertension, also known as high blood pressure, is a condition where the force of your blood against the walls of your arteries remains elevated.

The average adult has a resting heart rate between 60 to 100 beats per minute and their systolic hypertension level should be below 120 mmHg (millimeters mercury), while diastolic hypertension levels should be below 80 mmHg.

What are hypertension types?

There are several types of hypertension including:

1- Primary Hypertension

This is the most common form of high blood pressure, which occurs when your kidneys produce too much angiotensin II hormone resulting in constriction of your arteries and increased blood pressure.

This type of hypertension is usually asymptomatic and you may only find out that you have hypertension during a routine physical exam or blood work.

2- Secondary Hypertension

This form of hypertension occurs when another health condition such as pregnancy, kidney disease, Cushing’s syndrome (high levels of cortisol hormone), an adrenal gland tumor which causes your body to produce too much cortisol, or medications such as birth control pills and steroids cause hypertension.

3- Preeclampsia Hypertension

This is a life-threatening condition that occurs during pregnancy if your blood pressure goes too high and it can lead to serious complications such as organ damage from lack of oxygen, seizures or even death.

Causes of Hypertension

Some common risk factors for hypertension include:

1- Age — Hypertension is more likely to occur in people over the age of 45 who have a family history of high blood pressure or heart diseases.

2- Genetics — You may be at an increased risk of hypertension runs in your family.

3- Obesity — Hypertension is more likely to occur if you are overweight or obese, which can lead to diabetes and high cholesterol levels

4- Smoking — This habit increases the risk of hypertension by causing blood vessels constriction resulting in higher blood pressure.

5- Stress — Chronic stress may cause hypertension because it triggers certain hormones such as cortisol which can increase blood pressure.

6- Excessive salt intake — Hypertension is more likely to occur if you eat too much of this ingredient, which causes your body fluids and electrolytes imbalances that lead to hypertension symptoms.

Hypertension Symptoms

There are several signs and symptoms associated with hypertension including:

1.Dizziness

2.Blurry vision

3.Increased heart rate

4.Headaches

5.Fatigue

6.Nosebleeds or unusually heavy periods

7.Shortness of breath when performing physical activity

Treatment Option for Hypertension By Dr. Naval Parikh

Here are some hypertension treatment options offered by Dr. Naval Parikh for hypertension patients:

Lifestyle Changes:

1.Lose weight to reduce your blood pressure levels if you are overweight or obese

2.Eat a low sodium diet with an emphasis on fruits, vegetables and whole grains while limiting processed foods containing high amounts of salt such as bread, canned foods, fast foods and junk food.

3.Exercise regularly to improve hypertension by increasing your heart rate for 30 minutes most days of the week at least five times a week with moderate intensity exercises such as jogging or brisk walking.

Medications:

1.Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) — These medications block the hormone angiotensin II which causes hypertension.

2.Diuretics — This type of medication reduces water retention that contributes to hypertension by flushing excess sodium and fluid from your body.

Prescription Medications:

1.Calcium channel blockers

2.ACE inhibitors — this medication relaxes and widens your blood vessels to reduce hypertension by increasing the supply of blood and oxygen to your heart.

Surgical Procedures:

Several hypertension surgeries are available to treat severe hypertension including the implantation of a pacemaker or defibrillator device which is usually used on patients who cannot take medications for hypertension.

This procedure helps your heartbeat normally again by sending electrical signals through wires from your chest to the heart.

Another hypertension surgery is called endovascular stenting which can help open and enlarge blood vessels that are blocked or narrowed due to atherosclerosis by placing a small wire mesh tube (stent) into your artery where it will remain permanently.

Doctor Naval Parikh offers hypertension treatment options tailored to meet your individual needs so you can experience a higher quality of life.

Hypertension patients are welcome at Dr. Naval Parikh’s medical office located in Boca Raton/Deerfield Beach area.

For more information, please contact:

Naval Parikh Clinic:

Address: 1 West Sample Road, Suite 201. Deerfield Beach, Florida. 33064.

Phone : (954) 782–3170

Website :