Before You Buy A Dog In College, Read This

For every college student missing their dog back home.

74

So, you're in college. You're on your own. You have freedom. You have new friends that seem like family. But you feel you're missing something else. Maybe it's something furry...with a tail.

Often times, students come to college and they miss having their dog. I know I do.

Dogs are awesome, I'm telling you. Dogs love you no matter what. They are always happy to see you. They are someone you can constantly count on.

But dogs need back what they give you.

Many students come to college and think, "I want a dog." Sometimes, they even go out and get one. The idea might sound intriguing, but a lot of the time, many people don't realize what entails with having a dog in college.

College is a busy time. I know I am constantly doing something. I am always busy. I feel like I don't have enough time. I definitely don't have enough time to take care of a dog. I barely have time to take care of myself!

A dog needs attention. A dog doesn't deserve to be left alone for hours on end because you have class all day.

Yes, I know, we're all busy. But your dog doesn't understand. Your dog doesn't know when you'll be back. Your dog is just sitting and waiting for you to come home.

It's also important that you have the funds to care for a dog. I never realized how expensive it is to care for one. You have to buy the food, toys, and of course, pay for any vet trips. The bill adds up quickly, and if you're not prepared to financially support a dog, don't get one.

One of the worst things you could do is to buy a puppy in the spur of the moment, but realize later you aren't able to afford or care for the dog. It's not a responsible move.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad to get a dog in college. Some people really do need a dog; they need companionship. BUT, before you get one, think about the responsibility. You need to be sure that you have the time and effort to care for it.

Your dog will be there for you always. Just make sure that you will be there for them, too.