What It's Like Being A Criminal Justice Major Who Supports #BlackLivesMatter

Black or blue? That is the question.

29
Scoop Neat

"Black lives matter -- wait, no, blue lives -- no no, it's black lives, right?" There is a constant struggle in today's age to pick who I side with in the ongoing tensions between American activist groups and police forces. I'll admit that I'm pretty liberal, and I believe that there are social issues in America that need to be assessed. This includes supporting the movement for racial equality in a modern age, but being a liberal, in that sense, and having a major in criminal justice seems a little contradictory, right? I'm at this weird intersection of being a liberal who backs the idea of #BLM, but is also a criminal justice major with respect for law enforcement. So, where do I go?

It took a little while, but eventually I grew to respect the #BLM movement. No, not the cop killing, burning flags or rioting extremists. I support the ones who peacefully protest, ask for change, and try to seek justice for the lives that were taken under mysterious circumstances. I support the people who create large roadside memorials for those who've passed, and the people who stand quietly to make loud statements.

The #BLM movement has become extremely misinterpreted, as many people believe the violent extremists are the poster children. I've argued plenty of times about the names shown in media and how their deaths aren't justified, just because a cop put it in the report.

Uncalled for killings might be covered up the same way universities try to cover up sexual assaults; Instead of admitting there's a problem and working to fix it, people will try to hide it for the sake of their reputation. This isn't how issues should be dealt with. It makes people speculate the honestly of a group we should trust, and divides the nation even further. Of course it's a sensitive topic to discuss, but it's even harder to discuss when you're stuck in my position.

I should support law enforcement, right? More so, because I'm a criminal justice major? I'm stuck in this vortex now. I should support officers, because I'm a CJ major, but I should stick by my beliefs and support #BLM; It's a back and forth battle. I'm under no obligation to back Blue Lives Matter, but I feel pressure to since it's something supported by the field I study.

So, here I am -- wanting to support the movement for those I will one day work with, but instead I choose to support those who have faced injustices. Criminal justice is supposed to be just that: serve justice to criminals. However, when people are being killed for minor crimes, or no crime at all, it's not justice. I might love what I study, and I have mad respect for the officers who are fair in their work, but I'm not going to stop believing in what I think is right.