I Don't Want A Corporate Or Creative Career, I Want Both

For as long I can remember I've always been asked to pick what side of the spectrum I fall on: corporate or creative? And for a long time, I didn't realize what the both of them truly entailed which is why I feel like myself and a lot of people have always felt like we had to pick and strictly adhere one of those sides. However, as I've gotten older and gotten to know myself better I've realized that I do not fit into one mold because I truly can not.

The type of person I am is someone that enjoys the stability and structure of rules that have been put in place but still enjoys being unique and putting my own spin on things. From that, anyone can see that it is difficult for me to categorize what type of person I am because of how broad my interests are and this is the struggle that many college students face as they try to decide what career they want to pursue. Often times people are not able to strictly define what they want their career to look like and as a result of pressure from family and friends end up on a career path they were never interested in.

Why has it become part of our culture to make people choose between the two and not allow them to ever deviate from that choice? Why have we not allowed people to be able to express themselves in the way that they see most fit? Hindering youths from discovering their passion and pursuing what they want to do always produced dissatisfaction. Life is too short to be doing anything that you don't find fully satisfying.

To all my in-betweeners: keep pushing, keeping breaking boundaries, keep proving stereotypes wrong and keep trying to get to the point of full satisfaction in your career and when you get there don't look back. No one should define what path your life should take but you.