Contemplation Is OK

Contemplation Is OK

Ignorance is not.

5
Contemplation Is OK

There are many issues in our country right now: race, education, Planned Parenthood, equal marriage, economic, international, etc. With the plethora of problems being brought to the forefront of American politics with the upcoming nominations, I want everyone to know one thing.

Contemplation is OK. I will readily admit there are topics on which I am not as educated as I should be. I think we all are uneducated to some degree on at least one topic. My opinions on those issues are not fully formed because I am still looking at all of the facts and contemplating my position on them. Contemplation is OK, but ignorance is not.

I see so many people on my Facebook and Twitter feeds taking up the issues that are important to them. I have one word for those people: VOTE. If you are sitting at home on your computer arguing with people on the Internet and are still sitting in that same place on Election Day, YOU are part of the problem. If you aren't doing anything to align the people representing you with your beliefs, then YOU are a part of the problem.

The way I view it, there have been people who have died for our right to vote for the political candidate(s) who best represent our beliefs. If you aren't voting and still want to complain about the people others have elected to represent you, I honestly have no sympathy.

Even if you don't agree with my views on Planned Parenthood, education, etc., that's OK. What's not OK is expecting someone else to vote for your convictions. It's not OK to vote for someone just because they have a "D" or an "R" next to their name. It's not OK to vote for someone because that's who your friend said they're voting for.

My hope for the 2016 presidential election is honestly not that a Democrat or a Republican will win. My hope is that informed voters will show up and cast their votes for the people who represent their beliefs and who they think will do the best job of running our country. At the end of the day, whoever ends up in the oval office should be there because they represent what Americans think the country should be headed toward.

At this point in the presidential nomination process, I hope everyone is listening to the things candidates are saying and thinking about how these candidates align with or deviate from our individual personal beliefs.

You have several months until your final decision must be made in a voting booth. Take your time to think about how you want to vote.

Contemplation is OK. Ignorance and complacency are not.