An Open Letter To Mother Nature

An Open Letter To Mother Nature

We're concerned about your erratic behavior.

175
An Open Letter To Mother Nature
Twitter

Dear Mother Nature,

We need to have a talk. A serious one about some of your recent actions and their implications. Three days ago, I walked out of my dorm wearing a t-shirt, and promptly had to return and change because, in contrast to the previous day's sun and 65-degrees, you put us below freezing. It was still sunny; and we'd had no rain, so I'm not sure where the heat went. Are the Heat Miser and Snow Miser fighting like they did in that one Christmas 50 years ago?

So the next day, I went outside bundled up and was tormented for the rest of the day with hot, humid air, despite the sky being frozen over with clouds. Your actions are directly impacting my life, which is why I'd like to ask you a very important question.

Mother Nature, is everything OK?

Last winter, at least you were consistent. It was always cold. There was always snow, always a thick layer of clouds in the sky. Erratic, yes, but it was consistent. I don't even know what to say about this year. One night it was fifty degrees, but there was rain falling and the ground was frozen over with ice. I did not walk back to my dorm. I slid. I stood in one place and slipped down the ice over the pathway down Guzman Hill, soaking from the rain and sweating from the excess heat. There is no good way to handle that situation, and I'm insulted that you chose to give it to me.

Your erratic behavior is also affecting our schoolwork. Rapid hikes and drops in temperature mean we can't have snow days because nobody can predict a coming catastrophe. Grades are slipping, and we all care about you, Nature, but we need to make sure there's nothing wrong. Maybe it's your friends like El Nino and Global Warming that are pushing you to make bad decisions.

You need to stop seeing these people.

You're not yourself when you act like this, and we all see it and try to help with spoons under our pillows and keeping our winter outfits past Easter or Spring break. But the only way we can help you more is to tell us. How? I'm not sure. Write something in the clouds, maybe. It'll probably get on Vine by nightfall.

Best wishes,

A college student