Communications Major

Yes, I'm A Communications Major, But No, I'm Not Wasting My Time

"Do you really think you're going to get a good job with that degree?"

178

I am about to be going into my third year of college. After taking a year off, I couldn't be more excited to finally go back and pursue the journey to getting my degree and pursuing my career. What many always ask when you tell them you are a college student, is "What are you studying?" To which I, proudly, tell them I am a communications major.

I'm so sick of the looks I get when I tell them that.

"Well, that's not going to get you very far."

"What could you possible do with that!"

"Another millennial picking a useless major that won't get them anywhere in life, so they can feel entitled to asking for a handout later."

Yeah, someone actually told me that last one.

The question I always ask them in return is if they actually know what a communications major is. They always tend to reply with "something involving television." They seriously have no idea! These people are criticizing my choice of study, when they have no idea what the courses consist of!

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to make as much as our business or accounting majors, but the positions I could apply for with having a bachelors in communications are endless.

My goal in obtaining my bachelors in communications is to be a writer/editor. You'd be surprised how many companies are looking for people qualified for that position. But that's not where my degree ends either. The courses I take range from public speaking to mass media to marketing and more. While what I want to pursue is editorial position, I could also apply for media planner, public/human relations, advertising/marketing, film production, the possibilities are almost endless!

I laugh whenever someone tries to tell me I won't get anywhere with my degree. Especially when they have no idea what I am studying to begin with. Most of them either; didn't graduate college themselves, went to college and dropped out or went to college and got a degree in a "practical" job that they now hate and can't get out of.

Stop telling people, no matter what their major is, that it will not get them anywhere. ESPECIALLY, when you yourself have no idea anything about that major of study!

Or, keep doing it and keep pushing people to show you that they can do amazing things with their degree, while doing something they love!