How College Changes Your Relationship With Your Siblings
Siblings

College Has Definitely Changed My Relationship With My Siblings, But We're Still As Close As Ever

College will change your life in several aspects; including the relationship you have with your siblings.

141
Elizabeth Shelby

I was raised to always put family first and I would like to think that I have. I am the oldest of three; we are extremely close. We were always with each other growing up and would have the occasional fight. We acted just like every other pair of siblings. However, I moved to college and a lot has changed since then.

I moved to college a year ago and have loved every minute of it. I always communicate with my family so I know what happens when I am not home. However, I still miss a lot.

I missed watching my brother grow into a man. He was a baby when I left and magically grew 6 inches in the short time I was gone. I missed his junior prom; which wasn't a big deal to him but it was to me. I missed watching his personality grow into who he is now. I missed seeing his love for life grow through the year I was away. I get to hear about his life goals after he has already decided instead of being in the process with him.

My sister is now as tall as I am which is shocking to me considering she was shoulder level when I moved. She grew overnight in my opinion. I feel like I missed a lot with my sister. She was maturing into a young woman. She had to learn how to apply makeup properly from someone else rather than me. I missed several dances of hers where my mom did her hair rather than me doing it. She had to do school work with the help of the internet rather than me. I missed a lot with her because she was younger when I left.

However, even though I missed all of these important life events they still make me feel included when I am miles away. They send me pictures of outfits and ask my opinion, send me examples of homework, and ask how my life is going. They make sure to include me which makes me feel great.

When I visit home is when it is the best though. They make it seem like we have been together this whole time. We are back on the roasting, arguing, and annoying each other. They pack enough in at every visit because after a while I am ready to be back in my apartment and they are waiting too. However, our love is strong and will never be destroyed; we just have to wait longer to annoy each other.