Simple Chores College Students Must Do Before Winter Break
Winter Break

6 Simple Chores College Students Must Do Before Winter Break

College students aren't the best housekeepers but must remember to do these items before returning home for the holidays.

120

Whether you live in a dorm on campus or apartment off campus, we all plan to go home as soon as finals are over. Winter break begins and every college student rushes to be home, once that last final is handed in. Everyone wants to be home immediately for the holidays.

However, during finals week chaos, you can't neglect the preparation needed to leave your dorm or apartment for up to a month. College students aren't the best housekeepers but must remember to clean up before leaving to go back home. You will feel so much better to return to a clean, cozy home away from home, especially when you need to unload all your gifts and items from being gone for a decent amount of time.

You will be very thankful you did these simple chores when winter break ends.

1. Clean out the fridge.

Throw away not only old food but food that will spoil or expire when you're gone, such as milk. Make sure to not buy a whole gallon of milk when you know you won't be home to drink it.

2. Wash your sheets and make your bed.

It's not your bed back home, but it will feel so much better fresh and clean when you're exhausted from the holidays and family.

3. Pick up after yourself.

It might not seem like much to clean up your room, but you'll need a spot to unload everything you brought back and a dirty room only adds to the pile of mess you're going to have to eventually clean.

4. Do your laundry. 

It makes it so much easier to pack. You'll know exactly what clothing you have to make outfits from and won't over pack from taking home your entire laundry bag… that will have to be carried back as well.

5. Wash dirty dishes and put clean dishes away.

No one wants to return to a sink of nasty dishes full of old food. It may seem fine to leave behind, but it won't be when there's a bug infestation either. Same goes for the clean dishes, don't leave them out just to get dirty again.

6. Take all the trash out. 

Again, one word, bugs. Don't do it.

These may seem like very simple, easy to remember chores, but more than likely you'll be so burnt out from finals and just wanting to eat a good home cooked meal that you'll just grab your packed bags and leave. Don't be this college student! You will completely regret it.

An additional tip: Don't wait last minute to do these chores, either. It will only make more stress that is not needed. Throughout the week, take breaks between studying to slowly start to clean your dorm or apartment. It will clear your mind and make you feel better while making sure you're moving around after shutting yourself in the library for hours at a time. In the end, it will be worth it.