8 Words And Phrases That Must Change Before Hatred Destroys Our Society

I want my future kids to grow up in an open-minded, loving, supportive society. Can you help me with that?

860
Kristina Flour

I want my future kids to grow up in an open-minded, loving, supportive society. Can you help me with that? In no way am I impeding on free speech, I just want respect to be more relevant in our world in which we share. I understand that most words aren't used to hurt people, these words are just said because they are typical, but I want to change this normality.

1. "Be a man."

This phrase correlates with power, strength, masculinity; yet, women are just as brave, authoritative, and confident. Instead of being ignorant of someone's feelings and yelling, "Be a man!" one should recognize that all humans have emotions – including that of fear and sadness – and he/she should help a male identify this strength of feeling.

2. "You're a pussy. Grow some balls."

This is one of the most contradictory words. This statement is meant to be derogatory as it refers to someone who is weak; however, a pussy – a vagina – is much stronger than a male's balls. Interestingly, a vagina actually has the ability to "clamp down on [a] penis."

3. Gay/Faggot

The term is commonly used to call somewhat out for being weak, stupid, or different. Nonetheless, a homosexual--the true definition of the word--is not weaker than a heterosexual and this implication is detrimental to society.

4. Feminism

Ok, ok, obviously I don't think this word should never be used. I just believe that the negative connotation that all feminists are extremists and that "feminism" is the idea that all men are bad, should not be correlated to the positive movement that declares the equality of genders.

5. Fat

No, I'm not asking for this word to disappear; however, no one should be judging people this way. Even more so, these words impact young girls and boys who are so afraid of not attaining society's image of a perfect body. Please be mindful of what you are saying, sharing, and suggesting.

6. "She was asking for it."

No, no she wasn't. No one asks to get raped. That's never a woman's desire when she get's ready to go out, drinks another glass, or dances like no one's watching.

7. "But you're not underweight."

An eating disorder is not correlated with one's weight. It's a mental disorder that can affect any size, gender, and age.

8. Slut

Get over yourself and stop judging someone for their actions. Everyone has the free will to do as they please and it's definitely not your place to make assumptions about their character. You never know, you and that "slut" down the street may become great friends if you get rid of those negative sentiments.