California Destinations You Have To Visit

California is full of endless adventures, so here are the best places to experience them.

59

In the summer of 2014, my grandma took me on a two-week vacation to California. We started this exciting adventure in San Diego and made our way all the way up to the San Francisco. Growing up and spending a majority of her life in California, my grandma knew of all the best places to travel to. If you are visiting California soon, or are thinking about it in the future, listed below are some places you’ve got to check out.

San Diego is a beautiful city located on the Pacific Coast. It is known for its alluring beaches, serene parks, and warm climate. This is my favorite place in California for these reasons, and I hope to make it my home someday.

Pacific Beach is a carefree surfing neighborhood. It even has three miles of boardwalk and a beach party vibe that keeps the town moving. I recommend renting a beach cruiser and biking around this cute town.

Crystal Pier is another fun place that I remember so vividly because I watched a proposal here! This pier was first built in the late 1920’s and featured an amusement park. Although the amusement park and ballroom are now gone, there is a hotel that offers 1930s-era cottages.

Old Town San Diego is at the heart of San Diego. There are beautiful landscapes, as well as authentic restaurants and a diverse range of shops. There are haunted buildings to tour, museums to visit, and beautiful churches to marvel over.

Balboa Park is an urban cultural park consisting of more than 17 museums, performing arts venues, gardens, and trails. It is also home to the San Diego Zoo. There is no lack of diversity at this zoo.

The San Diego Zoo houses over 3,700 animals, so I can guarantee you won’t get bored. My favorite part was seeing the Koala Bears because there are only about 50 Koalas in North America, and 25 of these are at the San Diego Zoo.

Encinitas, California is another charming beach town. Encinitas is a Spanish name meaning “little oaks.” My grandma told me this when we visited there together. My favorite part of the city is the Encinitas welcome arch. Encinitas is also home to Old Mission San Luis Rey. This is said to be the King of all the Mission Churches because it is the largest of all. If you are looking for a beautiful sight, I recommend seeing the Mission.

San Clemente is a city located in Orange County. It is halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego. It is known for its gorgeous views, pleasant climate, and its Spanish Colonial style architecture. There is also a pier that is full of life. There are always people walking their dogs, surfing, fishing, and just enjoying the beautiful weather. Grab lunch or dinner, or even a cup of coffee, on the pier and you won’t be disappointed.

Disneyland is something I could write about all day because of the wonderful memories I made there. Most people know what Disneyland is so I’ll save you from the long-winded explanation. But if you are going to California and enjoy amusement parks, you must stop at “the happiest place on Earth.”

Hollywood, located in Los Angele is an alluring place. The famous home of the U.S film industry is ethnically diverse and densely populated. There are so many fun activities to do here but I’ll just tell you about a few.

Hollywood Boulevard is a Los Angeles cultural icon. There are museums and landmarks that celebrate members of L.A.’s entertainment industry. You can visit the TCL Chinese theatre that features footprints of stars.

The Hollywood Walk of Fame is 15 blocks long and has over 2,600 stars. These stars are permanent public monuments to honor members of the entertainment industry. There are endless amounts of shopping to be done at Hollywood & Highland if that is something you enjoy doing. The Hollywood Wax Museum is also a blast.

The Original Farmer's Market was one of my favorite places when visiting Los Angeles. If you are a foodie, this is a must-see. There are so many restaurant stalls that offer almost any type of food, from old-fashioned ice cream to healthy vegan bowls. Here you can grab a bite to eat and do some people watching.

San Francisco is my favorite place in Northern California because it’s full of adventures. It is a popular tourist destination known for its cool summers, a unique mix of architecture, and popular landmarks. San Francisco is home to the Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Union Square, just to name a few. If you visit San Fran, don’t forget to ride a Cable Car or two. These are cute and old-fashioned ways of transportation.

Yosemite National Park was where I ended my California trip. Yosemite is best known for its waterfalls, deep valleys, giant sequoia trees, and vast wilderness. My grandma and I camped for a few nights when we visited. There are different accommodation options, so you can choose what is best for you.

There are a few hotels and lodges, the Housekeeping Camp, and regular campgrounds. I stayed in the Housekeeping Camp which is perfect for people who enjoy the outdoors but don’t want the hassle of setting up a tent. The camp features a three-sided concrete structure with canvas roofs and privacy curtains. This campground is located alongside the Merced River, so there are guaranteed beautiful views.

California is an incredible place full of beach towns, delicious authentic food, beautiful beaches, and landscapes. There is always something to do; therefore, California is a great vacation spot if you’re up for an adventure.