But Are You Really A Feminist? Really?

But Are You Really A Feminist? Really?

If you call yourself a feminist because you believe in gender equality, you win.

45
But Are You Really A Feminist?  Really?
Wikipedia

Feminism is great. I am completely on board with the feminist movement. I strongly believe women deserve to be given the same rights as men in every aspect. What I don’t believe, however, is that men are pigs.

I see it all too often. A girl posts on Facebook about being catcalled, which I completely agree is incredibly degrading, and ends her statement with something like, “and that’s why all men are pigs and women should take over the world.” When I see something like this, I often find myself staring at the post for a couple minutes wondering if they know how completely backward that is. That was one man. And yeah, that guy sucks, I’m with ya on that, girl, but how does that make every man in the world the absolute worst? I’ve seen some girls say and do some terrible things, but I still think girls rock, just not the bad ones. Many women seem to believe that feminism is about female superiority rather than gender equality. That’s what I don’t get.

Listen, I’m against a male dominated future as much as the next person, but I’m just as against a female dominated one. Isn’t the idea of feminism to encourage the sexes to live in equality and harmony? Why are some women treating men in ways they’d get offended if men treated them? Maybe I’m missing something, but that concept is really hard for me to grasp.

Yes, in the history of our society, men have had dominance over women. This is probably because historically, I mean really historically, like before ANY of the men roaming this Earth were even alive, women were considered lesser than men. And yes, that’s messed up. But why are we blaming the men of today on the foundation built by men hundreds of years ago?

Below is a rant I typed out on my phone a little over a year ago. It’s a little harsh but it gets my feelings across.

“FEMINISM is believing in the EQUALITY of sexes, not believing that women are SUPERIOR to men!! Because that would just defeat the purpose!! I’m SICK and TIRED of “feminists” putting down men, that’s simply the OPPOSITE of what we’re trying to achieve!!! Also, being a feminist isn’t TRENDY!!! If you don’t believe in equality of the sexes, then take your damn “this is what feminism looks like” shirt off RIGHT NOW and give it to someone who knows what they’re talking about!! This is not TUMBLR this is REAL LIFE. Shoutout to the feminists who are fighting for gender EQUALITY and not female SUPERIORITY, you ROCK. To the people who think they’re making a difference by SHAMING and DEHUMANIZING the male gender, read a book you dimwit, that’s NOT how it works!!! Sorry to get all political I’m just fed up!!! #gowomen but also #gomen!!!!!

I wrote this after my senior year AP English teacher blatantly told the class that a woman’s place is in the kitchen and laughed at his statement for far too long. He did all of this while wearing a “This is what feminism looks like” shirt. HUH?? I dropped his class a few months later, turns out he was actually kind of crazy.

But seriously, feminism is a beautiful thing that brings people, even men (gasp), together over the idea and belief that women should be seen as equals to men. I love feminism, I am a feminist. I don’t believe that men should be superior to women in any way but I sure as hell don’t think it would be fair for women to become superior to men.

I’m a 19-year-old white girl, I know my opinion seems irrelevant, but I just wanted to be heard on this matter. I hope I didn’t offend anyone by writing this, though I’m sure I did. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, this is mine.