As Long As You Give Ariel the Red Hair She Deserves, I Don't Care

If she's black, I don't care. Just give her the damn red hair!

78

Okay, so you know that Disney sent out a message about a week or so ago about how they're going to make a live version of "The Little Mermaid". And then you probably know that they casted an African-American girl to act as Ariel.

Now, at first, I was sort of annoyed that they picked an African-American girl to play Ariel. Why would they do that? Why would they take away something I've grown up with? She's always had red hair in the Disney version, why would they change that?

But, then I realized they could still give her red hair even if she is black. It may be artificial red, and not natural, but honestly, who cares? It can show African-American girls that Disney princesses can be black, and that they can be black princesses. <3 It shows little black girls that they can be anything one day in the real world, and more specifically the career world.

BUT. THEY. MUST. GIVE. ARIEL. THE. RED. HAIR.

If they're going to make Ariel African-American, they need to still give her the red hair. I'm sorry, but the red hair of Ariel's is a HUGE part of her character, at least for me. The Disney version Ariel. And this is based off the Disney version, it's just a live-action version of the Disney version. Give Ariel the red hair. if not, I'll be mad, What are they trying to prove otherwise? For me, there's really no excuse to not give her red hair.

I think giving her natural, frizzy brown or black hair just to "please the African-American audience" is pushing it a little. You can still please the African-American audience by making her black. And you can still please and not disappoint a million people (especially including little girls and boys), by giving the black mermaid RED HAIR.

For me, that's more than a fair enough compromise.