What's Really In Your Pumpkin Spice Latte
Coffee

Pumpkin Spice And Everything Nice? Your PSL's Ingredients Might Give You A Seasonal Scare

Pumpkin spice and everything nice?

196
pumpkin spice latte

Fall has finally arrived, which means it's pumpkin spice season! From pumpkin-scented candles to pumpkin spice Cheerios, it's almost impossible to avoid the pumpkin-spice craze. And of course, the most prized pumpkin delicacy of all has returned: Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte. This seasonal favorite is loved by many, but do you really know what's lurking inside your classic beverage?

The return of the Starbucks PSL is almost monumental. Nothing is better than starting off the new season with a latte and warm pumpkin bread. This drink is a staple to the autumn season, just as much as the Bath and Body Works "Leaves" candle. People, especially students, line up to order this drink in all sizes, hot or iced, while others (aka haters) wonder what makes this drink so special.

I took it upon myself to research on Starbucks' website what really makes this drink taste so good. Not to mention, why does it cost $5.25 for a Grande? Brace yourselves, it's more than just a little whipped cream, cinnamon and nutmeg on top of espresso and milk.

On Starbucks' website, the standard drink when ordering a Pumpkin Spice Latte is a Grande with 2% milk and whipped cream. Obviously, you can modify this order based on preferences or any dietary needs. For example, I am dairy-free for the most part, so my go-to fall order would be a PSL with almond milk, no whip; but have no fear, it still tastes just as warm and sweet. The standard version of this drink totals in at 380 calories, and if that doesn't scare you, maybe some of the nutritional facts will.

In plain sight, the PSL is listed to contain 14 grams of fat, eight of which are saturated fat, 40% of the recommended daily value. I may not be a nutrition or dietetics major, but I do know that's a lot of fat for 16 ounces of liquid! But hey, treat yourself, right?

Treat yourself to 50 grams of sugar! That's about 12 teaspoons of sugar that you are consuming, the recommended limit of added sugar in an entire day. However, on the flip side, it has 14 grams of protein! Maybe a PSL is the ultimate pre-workout we never knew of.

Since no one really cares about sodium or cholesterol these days, I'll jump right into the ingredients in this beloved delicacy. Starbucks lists milk first, followed by Pumpkin Spice Sauce. Something about that just doesn't sound appealing. Found in the sauce are sugar, condensed milk, pumpkin puree, some juice, and a bunch of additives I can't spell or pronounce… yum! Can't forget the espresso, whipped cream, vanilla syrup (again, sugar with additives), and pumpkin spice topping, including cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove.

Like many of Starbucks' other beverages, the Pumpkin Spice Latte is basically espresso, milk, sugar, and a whole bunch of food additives. After reading and researching, will I change my fall order? Probably not. While this drink may not be the healthiest out there, it will continue to be a fall favorite for pumpkin spice lovers everywhere.