An Unpopular Stance On America

An Unpopular Stance On America

8
An Unpopular Stance On America

America is no longer the best country in the world. There. I said it. We list behind every country in every positive statistic there is except for two: defense spending and incarcerated citizens.

I realize me saying this will probably piss a lot of you off, but in honesty, I hope it does. I hope you get pissed as hell, but not at me; at the leaders of this country. We aren't the country we used to be. We used to set the bar higher than any other country out there because we cared. We took chances. Congress is too proud these days and REFUSES to listen to anyone because they are afraid of being voted out of office. They don't try to compromise or participate in bipartisanship because they are too afraid to "betray" their political party.

We as people force them to worry more about gay marriage and marijuana legalization, than fixing our debt and passing meaningful laws that can help us out of the mess we've been struggling to get out of for 7 years.

Let me be painfully clear. Social issues DO NOT MATTER. At least not right now. To the people that wanted to fight gay marriage: Stop. It is over and done with. Now we can move on to other problems like hmmmm, I don't know the $18 Trillion dollars that we owe other countries. Let us make sure this country has a future so that WE CAN debate these issues instead fighting about them while our country declines.

Three of the reasons the Roman Empire fell were over expansion, military overspending, and corruption in political office. Sound familiar? We take over countries we have no right taking, we are first in the world in military defense spending and the next 26 on the list are allies, and public officials take bribes from corporations and people everywhere. It. Is. Insanity.

Don't get me wrong. I love this country. I wouldn't want to be a citizen of any other country in the world. That's why I'm pissed. That is why I can't stand to sit by and not say a word about this.

The good part is, that we can be the best country in the world again.

Freedom is a large part as to why we can but it's not the only reason. There are 89 countries that are just as free as we are. What makes us special is the opportunity here.

Foreigners say that Americans are cocky and arrogant. Maybe that's why America is special. Because we have the balls to take that leap, to reach high, and to hang out on a limb for our dreams.

America is not too far gone. We still can change our future if we understand that we should work together and compromise, not fight over stupid things.

George Washington said it best about political parties, "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism."

Let's try to throw our issues aside and understand that we are all working for the best of this country. Compromise and understanding will change this country for the better.

America is not the best country in world right now. But it can be.