Why Adults Feel Entitled To Harass College Athletes
Basketball

To The Grown 'Men' Dunking On College Athletes But Who Couldn’t Dunk A B-Ball To Save Their Life, Shush, Let The Real Athletes Play

Let's face it: college athletes balance a lot and go through a lot.

376

Scroll anywhere online, and you're bound to find someone, somewhere critiquing a college athlete on a sport he never played in high school, let alone college.

College athletes deal with a huge amount of stress. They have the pressure of attending and doing well in their classes, like any college student, plus the pressure of upholding a certain athletic standard. If they don't perform well, they could jeopardize the reputation of their entire university's program.

Think about it: if somehow there was a group of players who didn't improve at the rate that is expected of them at a big basketball school like Duke, and all of a sudden Duke isn't in the March Madness tournament, that would be a huge hit to Duke's program.

They also travel... a lot.

I don't know about you, but I don't have to travel halfway across the country, play a game (potentially late at night with a time change), travel back home that day, get home super late and turn around and head to an 8 a.m. class the next morning. Let's face it: college athletes balance a lot and go through a lot.

Yet, for some reason, people all across the country feel entitled to critique them when they make one small mistake.

For example, let's look at a recent example from a March Madness game. In the game, Tacko Fall, from the University of Central Florida (UCF), got seven dunks against Duke University. UCF only lost by one point.

Fall is 7'6", and the names people call him online are atrocious. In the linked video above, you'll see comments making reference to "Taco Tuesday," "Taco Bell," and different variations of "he's not that good," or "he's weak." etc.

Is Fall the best player in the NCAA?

Probably not.

But do the people critiquing him and other college athletes have a right to come down so harshly on 18- to 22-year-olds just trying to get better at their craft?

Absolutely not.

Can you imagine that every time you went online after a game, whether you won or not, there were people out there who have never even been in your shoes critiquing your every move? Calling you names?

And Fall isn't the only victim.

Scroll through any sports related page on social media, and you'll see countless comments berating college players.

I just have one thing to say to all of them: if you couldn't dunk the ball on the court, you have no right to critique that same play.