I Find It Baffling That There's Still An Abortion Debate

& why I'm pro-choice.

4
Michigan Radio

For pretty much my entire life, I've been the type of person whose accepted the decisions of others without judgment. When I was younger, I had a friend who wanted to dye her hair purple; she ended up doing it and it was a bad dye job, but I told her it looked great because she loved it. When others told her it looked bad, I continued to encourage her. And when people asked why, I replied "live and let love," with a shrug.

In recent years, it's come to my attention that there is an abundance of male politicians, doctors, frat boys, sales clerks, etc who think their opinion on abortion matters. It's also come to my attention how utterly uneducated men are about the female reproductive system and it's kind of disgusting how oblivious they are.

I once saw a thing on Facebook that said "no uterus, no opinion" in regards to abortions, but it baffles me that there are countless women who feel the right to tell others what is best for their bodies, too. There are a ton of scenarios in which case abortions are the best or only option, yet women still think they have the right to belittle another woman for her decision.

I will be the first to admit that I have no idea what goes through a woman's mind when she is faced with the decision to abort her child or not. But I'll also be the first to admit that it is not my choice to make whether another woman chooses one or has no other options.

A ton of people are somehow convinced that the only reason for an abortion is for young mothers who get pregnant and decide they don't want their child. While that is SOMETIMES the case, a lot of women aren't in that predicament at all. A lot of women are married and ready to have children when their health takes a turn and they're forced into it. A lot of women have steady jobs and nurseries and clothes picked out when they're doctors tell them the pregnancy is endangering her and her baby. I don't know when abortions became taboo and frowned upon, but a lot of times, the women getting them wish they didn't have to.

I think it's time this country started educating its constituents on the realities of abortions and the hardships that those who have them face instead of judging them as unfit and irresponsible. Sometimes, an abortion is the only way to save the mother's life, or to prevent a baby from being born with illnesses that can end their life anyway. Before ANY politician (male or female) even has the right to speak on abortions and women's health, they should be more educated. And there's no need for the government to make a women's decision for her: her body, her choice.

So, instead of "no uterus, no opinion," how about just "no opinion." Period.