5 Common Thoughts While Working At A Childcare Place

All workers can relate to this at one time or another.

Jill Caranitti

I have finished school for the summer and decided to go back to work. I have worked at a local daycare for 3 years and I loved it. While I love working here, there are also days I want to rip my hair out. I am sure there are many childcare workers can relate to these thoughts. Almost all of these thoughts run through my head everyday but it is what makes the job fun and challenging. It really keeps you on your toes at all times but ALMOST every minute is worth it.

“Ahhh. It’s so nice that I get to color with these children.”

Wait, I didn’t finish that sentence. It is so nice to get to color with the children because we get to compare and tell each other how awesome our artwork looks. Until the kid that rips his paper apart because his didn’t look like yours. Uh no, now he’s going throw himself on the floor because he’s mad. That heartbreaking moment when you have to give your colorful paper to him so he can cheer up. You know you have to give up things at times so you can keep the students happy. That even means giving up your candy or snack.

“Man, who stinks?”

You can’t tell whether if a child farted or took a dump in their diapers. When you began to search for the smell, it’s already too late when you found the kid with the dirty diaper because she already reached down her behind. I will let you figure out how rest of the story goes.

“Awh, the kids are playing nicely. Give it about 5 seconds and it will become World War 3.”

Kids will be kids. Whether there is a ball on the playground or a certain bicycle that they want, they will battle it out. If you don’t stop them, you will be writing some accident reports. I always let them try to talk it out but if I don’t get there right on time, it’s too late and they are already mad.

“Yes! Its lunch break and nap time.”

You never thought you was going to be able to reach to nap time. Once they fall asleep, you finally get that deep breath in and watch how precious the children are sleeping. You spend 8 hours a day with them and they mean a lot to you. Even though they want to push you at times, they are a bunch of fun, loving children.

“See you tomorrow!”

Some days, you are either excited on parents picking them up or sad to see them go because you had so much fun with them today.

All those hugs and laughers you get received by those children is what you love about your job. It makes up for all the times you want to rip your hair out but you always have to take a deep breath and say they are just kids. They love to explore, learn, and play all day. It’s amazing to watch how they learn new stuff every day when college students can’t even remember what they had for dinner yesterday. I love my job at the daycare and I hope to work with children in the future.