How Visiting A Third World Country Puts Your First World Problems Into Perspective
Lifestyles

We need to realize how blessed we are to live in America.

340
Morgan Johnson

America is not perfect by any means; our country has its flaws, but it is still such a blessing to live here. We are free. We have men and women who fight every day for our freedoms, who risk their lives for us, and who keep us safe. We have so much to be thankful for.

But not everyone has those privileges.

In America, we complain about SO many things. We worry about what car we drive, how big our house is, how much money we make, what school we go to, what phone we have, what name brands we own, and so many other irrelevant things. Those are our biggest worries. That is what consumes so much of our time.

I'd say that if those are our biggest worries, we have it pretty freaking good here.

People across the world have so much more to worry about - legitimate worries. They spend their time worrying if they're going to be persecuted by their government because of their beliefs, where they're going to get clean water from, how they're going to feed their families, what to do when their children are sick and there is no medical aid available, what happens if a natural disaster comes and destroys their homes, and so much more that I cannot even imagine. They have actual problems. They experience hardships. They go through more than we could ever fathom.

Yet, here we are. Americans.

We get all bent out of shape when someone cuts us off when we're driving, when our WiFi is too slow, when our phone battery dies, when the drive-thru line is too long. We whine and complain about that when there are people all over the world who can't provide for their families.

We complain about having to go to school or work. Some people would kill to have the education or jobs that we do. We really, really take so much for granted. We have no idea how good we have it.

Again, I'm not saying America is perfect.

There are people here living in poverty. There are children here who don't have parents. People here have it hard, too. And, I'm not trying to act like bad things aren't happening here, because I know that they are. But, for the majority of Americans, we have it made. We have more than we need. We even complain because we have too much stuff. We should be embarrassed for some of the things we whine about.

If you're an American, you have been blessed.

You've been blessed for a reason. Luke 12:48 says, "... From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, even more will be expected." We have been given so much. We should be a blessing to others any chance we get.

Next time you find yourself complaining about something mediocre, try to remember to count your blessings. This is something I find myself struggling with daily.

There are more people than you can imagine who would give anything to have your problems.

We are blessed to live in America. We are blessed to have what we do. We need to start acting like it.