5 Things It's Important To Remember After You Graduate College
Graduation

5 Important Things To Remember AFTER You Graduate

I'll be honest: graduating majorly sucks.

1450

So, you spent the last four years of your life at an institution of higher learning. You did all the classes, passed all your exams, and even got some extra-curriculars under your belt. Finally, it's time to graduate and blow this popsicle stand! But, after the dust settles and your diploma gets put on the mantle, what happens next? You may feel like the next step is going to be to start looking for jobs, but that becomes a whole different ordeal.

As someone who's been graduated for a year now, I would like to impart some wisdom upon you bright-eyed individuals who are ready to take the world by storm.

1. The Job Hunt Sucks.

To put it bluntly, the after college job hunt really freaking sucks. You'll send out application after application, only to hear nothing back or to get an immediate rejection. Sometimes, you'll get an interview but nothing will really come from it. There's always going to be someone more qualified than you, older than you, and a lot more polished than you. But, don't let that discourage you. There's no shame in working a retail job or a food service job as your first job out of school. Think of it as getting experience with transferable skills. Trust me, it's easier to get another job when you already have a job.

2. Don't Get Hung Up On Other People's Success

While you're trawling the web for that next job opportunity, you'll probably always come across an acquaintance or former classmate who's bragging about their life on Facebook. Maybe they just landed an amazing job at their dream company, or maybe they just moved into a rent-controlled loft apartment in New York City. Whatever the case may be, don't let yourself become hung up on their successes. Everyone has their own story, some people just need several seasons and a spin-off to get through it.

3. Be Young

When you graduate college, it doesn't mean you have to suddenly be an adult and grow up. Go out and party 'til 4 a.m. with your friends! Have pool parties with them! Eat pizza and watch Disney movies in your jammies. Trust me, doing these things will keep you sane while you try and figure things out.

4. Allow Yourself To Cry

Cry. Just do it. It's frustrating, it's hard. You feel like you're trapped in a never-ending cycle of not being able to find a job and you know what? That's perfectly okay. You just gotta let yourself have a good cry sometimes, no matter how terrible it might feel.

5. Take Care Of Yourself

Make sure you're taking the time to care for yourself. You have to remember that you always come first, no matter what. Also, be sure to check in on your friends who might be in the same boat as you. You never know what they might be going through when it comes to their own job search. You got this, darling. Don't let yourself get beaten down by life.