5 Things I Learned Working At A Restaurant During COVID-19

5 Things I Learned While Working At A Restaurant Serving Karens During COVID-19

"What? The world is currently in a global pandemic? I say this is the perfect time to go to Applebee's!"

724
two women wearing aprons, all black, and masks with hair in buns standing behind plexi glass

Before we start, I would just like to say that I have worked at an American chain restaurant for over two years. And when I say American chain, I don't mean a place like Olive Garden or Texas Roadhouse.

I'm talking about the type of restaurant in which the greasy food is overpriced and the booths are covered in questionable stains. With that being said, I have seen some pretty strange and outrageous things while at work, but nothing compares to my experiences during this pandemic.

So put on your masks and grab your disposable menus, cause this is gonna be a bumpy ride!

Masks have the power to start wars.

Haircut Karen GIF by moodman Giphy

"I'm sorry ma'am, you must wear a mask to enter."

You have not experienced true fear until you have told a middle aged white woman that she has to wear a mask in order to enter the restaurant. I imagine this feeling can be comparable to a bandit and sheriff looking each other in the eyes before they draw their guns in a Wild West shootout.

Nonetheless, I do have to show some appreciation to these mask refusing costumers.

I have never seen grown adults put so much passion and rage into arguing with a 16-year-old host about a piece of fabric.

The main comeback I have heard in these arguments is, "Well, how am I supposed to eat with a mask on??"

I don't know Karen, I do not know.

People act like nothing happened.

walking dead halloween GIF by HULU Giphy

You know those scenes in the Walking Dead were the herd of zombies are slowly walking towards the group of main characters? This same thing happens at my work.

But, instead of brain-eating zombies, they are old men in walkers and crowds of Karens shuffling their way in.

You would think that a pandemic that has negatively impacted the lives of millions of people would be a good enough reason to stay home. But no, the restaurant is as crowded as ever.

Don't get me wrong, these costumers deserve praise!

You must be extremely brave to risk your their own health AND the health of others just so you can sit in a cracked leather booth and eat boneless wings.

People still don't tip.

The Simpsons Animation GIF by FOX TV Giphy

"Oh look! this generous man left me 50 cents!"

To be completely honest, tips at my job have never been great. With a demographic that ranges from old men who only order French onion soup to teenage boys who don't even have enough money to cover the bill, I don't expect much.

However, considering I am now risking my own health to serve you, I would gratefully appreciate a generous tip.

Maybe I am expecting too much from my customers? Wear a mask, social distance, and tip? What gives me the right to demand just outrageous things?

Nobody understands.

"Sir, I know we use to serve bake potatoes, but they are no longer on the menu."

Costumers really act like the most devastating event of 2020 is my restaurant no longer having potato soup on our menu. But I understand, with social distancing, a limited menu, and no salt shakers and ketchup bottles at the table, a restaurant can now be a confusing place.

No one seems to understand why regulations are in place, and to make matters worse, they blame serving staff.

Well as we know the costumer is always right, so yes, a pandemic isn't the reason why you can't have a ketchup bottle at your table.

I purposely took it from you. I'm the restaurant Grinch here to ruin your dining experience!

You will survive!

On a more serious note, anyone who has worked in a restaurant knows that it can be a pretty exhausting job. And this pandemic has only made things worse.

But please remember that everything is going to be okay!

This is only a small bump in the road and you will make it out of COVID stronger and better than ever.

Be grateful for your job and make money! Remember your mask can perfectly hide the frown on your face!