Premiere: The Story Behind Sarah Darling's "Wasted"

Check out "Wasted" across all streaming services.

282
Sarah Darling

Country artist Sarah Darling recently released her new single "Wasted". The song focuses on someone that she cares about dealing with their struggle of substance abuse and how it in turn also affects her. Sarah sat down to give us the backstory of the song and how writing it came about, which you can hear all about it in the video included and the interview below. Check out "Wasted" across all streaming services:

Question 1: What did it mean for you to release "Wasted"?

Answer: It has felt really healing to put this song into the world. It’s a country song that says what it means honestly and really has connected to a lot of people who deal with addiction.

Question 2: What was the process like, musically and emotionally, to write about such a personal topic with people you didn't know well?

Answer: The mystical part of songwriting is that you can really share your emotions with people you barely know. Great songs come from an open heart I believe. I was quite grateful that my co-writers wanted to help tell the story that day. Imagine it’s like the best therapy session.

Question 3: Did you end up telling your family member that the song stemmed from your conversation with them? If so, how did that conversation go?

Answer: Actually, they don’t know it’s about them. I like the fact that the song now becomes for anyone who needs it. One day I will.

Question 4: Why have you chosen to release the song now, after 10 years?

Answer: It just wasn’t the right time when I first wrote it. It took me 10 years to find the right way to play it and interpret it. I believe there’s a time for everything, and this song made its own way. It’s one that needed to come out to share the pain and struggle of addiction and help others.

Question 5: What do you hope your fans take away from this song?

Answer: To know that they aren’t alone if they have ever experienced this pain. It’s comforting to know others share that with you.