Pets Are My Children
Nature Animals

My Pets Are My Children

I wouldn't have it any other way.

185
Long haired black cat sleeping
Corrinne Brubaker

I think many pet owners will agree that our pets are our children and we will do anything and everything to care for them and make sure they have happy healthy lives. Sometimes people who don't have pets might not realize all that goes into caring for them.

Just recently my cat Misty had a terrible hairball. She was crying in sad pained meows, sounds I've never heard her make. We were scared when she fell over after coughing up the hairball. We took her to the vet and I was so worried about her. I realized how much I love and will do anything to make sure she's okay.

On the way to the vet, I held and comforted her the whole way, giving her lots of kisses and making sure she knew that we loved her and were taking care of her. Luckily there was nothing wrong and Misty recovered from her painful spell and we got some supplements to help her in the future.

As we were checking out at the vet, the nurse was talking about the supplements and expensive food she gives her kitties and laughed saying they're her children and that's why she doesn't have children because she couldn't afford them. We laughed too knowing all too well the love, time, effort, and money that go into caring for pets.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I love animals and they are worth all the care that goes towards them. I'm happy to see Misty relaxing peacefully and comfortably and I'm reminded of how thankful I am to have her because it's not just me caring for her, she loves and cares for me too.

Misty is always there for me to curl up next to me and cuddle me. She sits in my lap while I study. She enjoys sitting next to me. She always wants to be near us when we are sleeping, and she's there for me when I'm down or sick. She's always there to comfort me and make me feel better. I think many pet parents can relate.

I don't have kids, but I have my pets, my cat Misty and my bearded dragons Ninja and Onyx. I love them all very much. Ninja and Onyx took some learning to know how to take care of them. They need the right food, supplements, lighting, and temperatures, but I've enjoyed learning and caring for them and I hope to be the best pet mom for them that I can.

It is fun watching them grow. You find yourself celebrating the little everyday achievements they have just as parents do with their human kids. I get excited every time my pets eat their food or poop or shed or run around with excitement. It means they are healthy and happy and that makes me happy.

I look forward to many years giving my babies the best life I can give them and I wouldn't have it any other way. What are some things you love about being a pet parent?