It's Extra Important To Be Involved In Extracurricular Activities

What you will get out of being involved in more than just the classroom.

55

I have always been an involved student whether if it was in high school or now, in college. Over the years I have been involved in student government, anatomy and physiology club, Spanish honor society, deca, Tri Delta, Odyssey, and more. Being in these registered student organizations helped me feel more a part of school than if I were to go straight home. I was able to make lifelong friendships that I am still besties with till this day.

Being involved helps you feel as though you are more than just a student, you actually have meaning when walking into the doors of your school and people will actually know who you are. You are put on this leadership role to other students that are not involved within the same organization. Here are a few reasons why being involved is so important when being a student.

Social skills are a HUGE one! Why go to school and then go straight home afterward? Personally, that sounds a bit boring to me. Getting involved outside of school can help students meet new people they would not have met if they were not involved. Students will meet other students that share the same interests and goals that they want to achieve. Extracurricular activities can also help students expand their network, which will be beneficial for their future careers and trying to find job opportunities after college. Sometimes it is about who you know, not necessarily what you know and being involved can help you connect with people that can offer you a job opportunity in the future.

Building your resume is a very important one as well. When being involved whether it is in high school to look outstanding for universities you'd like to be a student of or your first job out of college it is important to show that you were very involved and able to keep a balance with your classes. Building your resume tells the employer who you are and what you are passionate about. If you had good grades it proves that you have effective time management skills and that you can balance work well.

Earning career experience can equip you with the skills you will need to succeed outside of school. For example, me being a part of student government in high school (and even college) has helped me create leadership skills by being the bridge between students and school. I was and currently am able to be the voice for students and this requires leadership skills, the ability to work as a team, prioritizing tasks, and managing my time well.

It is also said that being a part of an organization helps students stay in school and actually achieve higher scores on grades and tests. It not only makes you do better in classes, but it also gives you experiences you will take later on in life and memories you will cherish forever. I hope this helped you understand why being involved is so important within your school career and what you can do outside of school to benefit your community.