Happiness is a decision
Lifestyles

I Used To think Happiness Was An Emotion— Until I Decided To Be Happy

Why happiness is more of a life decision than an emotion.

117
Katherine Pasutto

I've come to the conclusion that I can never be happy all the time. I can never feel happy, joyful, elated, challenged and motivated all of the time. After my trip to Thailand, I was really nervous that I would sink into a deep depression from lack of exploration and monotony. Luckily, I have not. What I have learned from this experience is happiness is more of a choice than a feeling.

Usually, when I am doing the same routine everyday, or every week, I get bored, tired, and depressed. I thrive when my life is changing and I am doing something new. I always was looking for something else to do, and from this I have felt a never ending urge to find "happiness." I never found it. When I was in Thailand I believed I would be endlessly happy because I was doing the thing that I thought would never cause any sadness: exploring, living in the moment, challenging myself, meeting new people, and not having a routine.

Unfortunately, I got sad during my last week there and I felt so defeated. I couldn't understand how I would feel so deflated when I should be feeling so much joy. Maybe it was because I was in the same place for the last 9 days of my trip, or maybe it was because I was drained, but it wasn't because of lack of something to be happy about.

I came out of this realizing that no matter where I am I cannot always be searching for happiness. I have to realize it in every moment of every single day. I have one hundred million reasons to be happy. I have clothing, food, and shelter. I have a loving and supportive family. I have friends that span the world. I know that have the ability to do anything I set my mind to; I mean I went to Thailand by myself for goodness' sake.

Further, being happy in the moment doesn't mean I have to stop pushing myself to achieve bigger goals and dreams. I can be content where I am in life while also realizing that there is more out there to achieve in the future. As soon as I have a new dream or opportunity that tugs at my heartstrings I will go for it. Until then, I can be satisfied with my routine of getting up, drinking coffee, going to the gym, doing my online coursework for summer classes, and going to work.

When I feel stressed or stuck it doesn't mean my life isn't good overall. I can push through it and tell myself I am ok. I am happy in this moment, and if I let every little thing get to me it would tear me down to sadness. Don't overthink, appreciate the small things in life, and stay motivated. Many of us are lucky is so many ways we don't even realize, and we all can find at least one thing to be happy about.