17 Words To Describe How You're Feeling Besides 'Fat'

17 Emotions To Use Instead Of 'Fat,' Because Fat Is NOT A Feeling

You don't "feel fat," so stop saying it.

368

First off, I've got two things to drill into our diet-culture society: "fat" is not a feeling nor is it a negative one. Remember, fat is not a feeling, guilt is not an ingredient, and health is not a size.

It is more than possible to be fat and fabulous, fat and beautiful, fat and strong – no "but" or "or" needed. Fat is not a bad word and it's time to stop using it as such.

Now with that said, I am like so many of us guilty of saying, "I feel fat today." But what do we actually mean when we say this – what does fat mean? I never recognized what I was actually feeling and what I was implying. All I knew is that I didn't feel good, I didn't know what to do about it, and I didn't think I deserved to feel good. I fell into the trap that convinced me that if I "feel fat" that day, I should feel bad about myself. On the other hand, if I "felt skinny" – also not a feeling – then I had all the right to live life happy.

However, beauty is not synonymous with a body type or weight. It's easy to blame our bodies for our feelings, but body image struggles stem from emotions. To find self-peace, self-respect, and self-kindness we have to sit with the uncomfortable emotions.

See Also "Body Dysmorphia Is A Sneaky Condition, But You Can See These 17 Signs Right Away"

Let's search a little deeper and find the real emotions behind our body shaming, here are 17 feelings you may actually be experiencing:

1. I'm sad 

2. I'm unsure

3. I'm feeling hopeless 

4. I'm scared 

5. I just ate, I'm full, and I feel guilty 

Hold up, guilt doesn't need to come with food. Diet-culture wants you to feel guilty because that's how the multi-billion dollar diet industry makes money. It's time to regain your power and confidence.

6. I feel lazy 

7. I'm in pain 

8. I'm worried 

9. I'm tired and feel heavy 

10. I feel unlovable 

11. I'm nervous 

12. I'm bloated 

13. I'm ashamed 

14. I feel stuck 

15. I feel self-conscious 

16. I'm embarrassed 

17. I'm confused