Dr. Gregory Finkelson Discusses the Differences and Similarities Between the L-1 and E-2 Visa Programs

Dr. Gregory Finkelson explains the differences between two popular American visa programs.

16

Looking to immigrate to the United States? If so, you’ve probably already heard of the famous American immigration lottery system. While getting a Green Card through the lottery can be a life-changing experience, your fate is left to Lady Luck. There are other options, however.

That’s why Dr. Gregory Finkelson is going to cover the L-1 and E-2 visa programs.

“The L-1 and E-2 visas are among the most popular visas for folks looking to immigrate right away,” Dr. Gregory Finkelson points out. “Immigration law is always complex, but within that complexity, these visas are among the more straightforward and obtainable options.”

Gregory Finkelson Explains The L-1 Visa Program

There are two L-1 visas, an L-1A and an L-1B visa. The L-1A visa is for executive and managerial staff members, who can use the visa to move to the United States and to manage a subsidiary branch for a foreign employer. The L-1B visa is for people with specialized knowledge. In both cases, the employee will have had to work for the foreign company for at least 1 continuous year in the preceding three years. Spouses and minor children can also immigrate on L-1 visas.

The L-1 visa program can be extended to between 5 to 7 years, depending on your classification and specific talents/knowledge. Visa holders can also apply for Green Cards, including the employee-sponsored EB-1C Green Card program.

“The L-1 program is great for employees looking to reside in the United States and companies looking to expand in America,” Gregory Finkelson says. “While the visa is temporary, it could help pave the way to a Green Card indirectly.”

Gregory Finkelson Covers the E-2 Visa Program

Then there’s the E-2 visa program. This visa program is designed for investors. However, it’s not for passive investors. If you apply for an E-2 visa, you’re expected not only to invest in the enterprise but also to relocate and direct it. An E-2 visa is a fantastic option for small businesses as you can get started with just $100,000 in capital. You can also bring your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the United States.

One of the best benefits of the E-2 visa program is that it can be extended indefinitely. If you’d like to continue to reside in the United States, you may be able to do so without even applying for a Green Card. That said, obtaining a Green Card is still a wise decision for people who want to live permanently in the United States.

“For individuals and families with the capital and desire to invest in a business, the E-2 visa program ranks among the best options,” Gregory Finkelson points out. “If everything is in order and your business is thriving, you can typically reside in the United States for a long time on this visa. You can also apply for a Green Card.”

The performance of your business may prove crucial for obtaining a Green Card. If you can show that your business is growing and contributing to the American economy, you’re more likely to see your Green Card application approved.

Both visas, L-1, and E-2, will allow to:

• You will get a Social Security Number and authorization to work for your USA company;
  • Your spouse will get a Social Security Number and work authorization to work for any USA company;
  • Your children will be able to study at any private or public school.

Both visas could be obtained with Premium Processing within a 15-days time frame - in case of status change.

Visa E-2 could be also obtained abroad - at the US Consulate.